Rusted Brake and Fuel Lines - 98 Toyota Sienna

Status
Not open for further replies.

JC1

Hi Guys,

I was under my van this weekend patching the gas tank. During the process I noticed that the 4 lines travelling to the rear of the van are corroded around a u shaped bend. Two lines for fuel and the other two for the rear brakes.

The one line which was for the fuel vapor return was actually rusted very badly to the point it broke off. That line fed to a rubber fuel hose. To Macgiver something I had to run to Napa to get 2 feet of fuel vent tubing and replace the shorter piece of tubing.

It worked for now. Does anybody know what the sizes of Fuel line and Brake line are? On the vent line I replaced the hose had an inside diameter of 1/4".

I'm planning on splicing in a new piece and using compression fittings. Any advice would be appreciated. I really don't want to replace the whole line, since they go from the rear all the way up to the firewall and they appear to be a PITA to get too.

Patching the gas tank?

Before doing any more repairs, consider that you'll be replacing the in-tank fuel filter and/or pump soon. Plan accordingly.

The tank only had a small hole near the vent filler connection. Wasn't a major leak, only leaked if the tank was totally full and the van was parked on an upward angle.

Brake lines are typically 3/16. A double flair is required to repair a brake line. Compression fittings won't handle the pressure. Quick and dirty fuel line repair is to repair it with a hose and clamps. Make sure the hose is rated for the psi of the fuel injection. Typical fuel line is 5/16.

The trouble with rusty lines is that they rust in places you haven't seen yet. Rusty lines can work fine until they pop. When they pop, other stuff crumbles when you try to repair the original leak.

Do some googling and you tubing on brake line replacement and repair before you take on this job. Good luck
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: andyd
Brake lines are typically 3/16. A double flair is required to repair a brake line. Compression fittings won't handle the pressure. Quick and dirty fuel line repair is to repair it with a hose and clamps. Make sure the hose is rated for the psi of the fuel injection. Typical fuel line is 5/16.

The trouble with rusty lines is that they rust in places you haven't seen yet. Rusty lines can work fine until they pop. When they pop, other stuff crumbles when you try to repair the original leak.

Do some googling and you tubing on brake line replacement and repair before you take on this job. Good luck
grin2.gif

Thanks, Yes I've been searching on youtube for videos on flaring. The van gets rust proofed, but this section of the line is corroding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back