New Tacoma oil change schedule???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a new Tacoma bought November of 2014. I have done the first 2 5k mile changes through Toyota Care. Going to the dealer for me is a hassle so I am going to go ahead and start my own regimen of changes. I am leaning on doing 5k mile changes on a major brand dino oil but using Mobil 1 filters every other oil change which obviously would be 10k miles on the filter. While under warranty I want to stick to 5k miles on oil. Will that filter perform up to task with that regimen? I plan on going extended intervals once out of warranty but that will be a while.

Decent oil + Decent filter and you are set.
5K miles doesnt seem like a lot in a gas engine.

So i'd say your plan sounds good and you will not have any problems at all.

Toyota can be a stickler on using their oil filter when it comes to warranty. I would use the OEM filter while under warranty, no matter how much better the one you plan to use is.

With the filter on top of the engine just use the factory filters and change every 5K. Can't get any simpler with the 4.0L.

I have the same truck. Every 5k miles the service light comes on to change oil. Super easy to do the filter so I would do that.

106k miles and still runs like new.

I have the '05 version Tacoma. In my opinion, there is nothing superior about the Mobil 1 filters. The OEM filters are very good. I would change both oil and filter every 5k. If you are not towing, conventional is OK. If you tow, 5k on synthetic is not excessive.

Originally Posted By: tcp71
Toyota can be a stickler on using their oil filter when it comes to warranty. I would use the OEM filter while under warranty, no matter how much better the one you plan to use is.

I'd love to see how you can support that statement.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Originally Posted By: tcp71

I'd love to see how you can support that statement.

Ever have an oil filter split? A co worker of mine did. I believe it was a Motorworks(?)
Doing 70 mph down the highway will empty a Honda sump in seconds. Caused damage to the main bearings. Honda would not warranty the engine. Wasn't their part that caused the damage they said. He ended up getting the engine rebuilt by the filter manufacture after 4 months of red tape.
Remember the dealer cannot require you to use their parts, but can deny warranty repairs if the non OEM part caused the damage.

From the FTC's website:
"Still, if it turns out that the aftermarket or recycled part was itself defective or wasn't installed correctly, and it causes damage to another part that is covered under the warranty, the manufacturer or dealer has the right to deny coverage for that part and charge you for any repairs."
Link here.

Last edited:
Well, I just went to Walmart and bought some Castrol GTX 5w-30 and a Purolator Classic filter and called it good. I will change every 5k miles until warranty is up and then switch to extended intervals with synthetic oils and better filters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back