Bad Accident At Pocono

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: earlyre
this is exactly why they need an enclosed cockpit.

Would that really help? Having a bajillion cars at over 200 mph on a cramped oval without enforcement against contact is the bigger elephant in the room.

Let Charlie Whiting direct a few races, and see how it goes.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Garak

Would that really help? Having a bajillion cars at over 200 mph on a cramped oval without enforcement against contact is the bigger elephant in the room.

wink.gif

it would definitely help this situation.
the leader spun out on his own, hit the wall, parts broke away taking energy with them like they are supposed to do, and the nose cone went bouncing down the track, and off this guys helmet with enough force to ricochet waayyy up in the air, which is also enough force to at least concuss him and knock him unconscious. at which point he was a limp passenger as his car careened towards the inside wall.

the enclosed canopy in a couple of the proposed designs would have taken the brunt of the force of the debris impact, if not deflected it all together.

it would be similar to you driving on the hwy in a convertible with the top down, or riding a motorcycle. muffler (or other part) falls off a car in front of you, tumbles & bounces down the hwy, and hits you in the head before you see it. even with a helmet, if you survive, there's likely a lot of bib's and drool in your future. where as in a normal car with a roof, the debris will likely deflect, or stick into the metal, with the roof absorbing some of the impact energy.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Say what you want about Tony Stewart, but he sent his plane to take Justin Wilson's family to the hospital.

Tony has come a LONG WAY from his hot headed/temper tantrum prone earlier days.

I used to hate on him, but now have much more respect for him not just as a driver, but as a person.

I will reserve comment on the whole dirt track sprint car death incident, as I have not looked at/studied it enough to do so.

it would definitely help this situation.

I meant more generally speaking, rather than this specific situation. This was such a freak incident here. I don't know how much it would do for the average Indy collision.

Originally Posted By: Garak

wink.gif

You're exaggerating.

"Bajillion" = 24 cars at the start, and 16 at the time of Karam's & Wilson's crash.
"Cramped oval" = 2.5 mile track having only 3 turns and with the longest and widest front stretch in the USA.

Open wheel racing is what it is, and it is dangerous. Charlie Whiting calling a penalty against drivers for preventable contact would not have prevented Wilson's injury. Karam lost it by himself, hit the wall and showered debris in every direction. Wilson came through and got hit with the nose cone square in the helmet. No amount of officiating is going to prevent accidents like that.

Remember Felipe Massa's accident in Hungary a few years ago? A suspension spring fell out of another car and hit Massa in the helmet. What amount of officiating from Charlie Whiting would have prevented that?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: A_Harman
You're exaggerating.

"Bajillion" = 24 cars at the start, and 16 at the time of Karam's & Wilson's crash.
"Cramped oval" = 2.5 mile track having only 3 turns and with the longest and widest front stretch in the USA.

Open wheel racing is what it is, and it is dangerous. Charlie Whiting calling a penalty against drivers for preventable contact would not have prevented Wilson's injury. Karam lost it by himself, hit the wall and showered debris in every direction. Wilson came through and got hit with the nose cone square in the helmet. No amount of officiating is going to prevent accidents like that.

Remember Felipe Massa's accident in Hungary a few years ago? A suspension spring fell out of another car and hit Massa in the helmet. What amount of officiating from Charlie Whiting would have prevented that?

I agree. This is motor racing. It's inherently dangerous by it's very nature. No matter how much we improve safety, things like this are going to happen. They do happen with much less frequency than just a few years ago. I don't think an enclosed cockpit is the answer. It would have other drawbacks. The ability for drivers to escape in the case of an inverted wreck. Incapacitated drivers being able to be easily extracted. Heat dissipation. Fire. And on and on. It would also be extremely costly. Safety is a delicate balancing act between cost and actual benefit These cars are so expensive now it wouldn't take much to put them out of reach of a lot of the smaller teams.

In my view it's an inherently dangerous circuit when you look at it. Only 2.5 miles with nowhere to go, even worse with over 20 cars, too crowded, especially for open wheels.

As has already been said: Racing is dangerous.

I've know several people that have died or who have been seriously and permanently injured, while pursuing their passion for Racing. They knew the risks, as do I, and yet they and I chose/choose to participate anyway.

Sitting at home watching life pass us by, because we are too afraid to go out and live life as we see fit, would be even more tragic then dying in a racing accident, IMO.

Here's to Justin Wilson making a full recovery from his injuries.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back