2015 F350 diesel need cleaner oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know, m37charlie, I probably put the 5w- in my Delvac 1 to more of a test than the gentleman to whom you spoke, and who actually needs a CJ-4 lube, since I at least do a few unaided starts in -30 C and colder.
wink.gif

m37charlie, shops that run a wide range of engines and trucks also will just settle on generic oil grade for simplicity. From my time in Alaska, 15w40 was standard, primarily because all motors could use it and it was much simpler to stock one grade than several. Trans West and some other Canadian trucking companies have moved most of their stuff over to 30w oils. But then, most of their equipment is 3 years or less in age. Irregardless, the heavy truck OEM's are recommending 30w oils, and factory filling with them. What a shop does based on their "feelings" is yet another thing altogether, and most times it is not based on empirical data but just the mantra of "that is they way we have always done it".

Originally Posted By: used_0il
That graph indicates that I should use a 0W40 in the winter.
Seems like the world is moving on who, TiredTrucker?
The people who build the Duramax, but can't figure out engine oil?
Lets compare an engine with a 35L oil sump that runs up to 1,750 rpm,
to an engine that will run at 4,500 rpm (under braking) with an 11 liter sump.
The crate engine for a GEAC44 is $1.5M, has a 500 gallon sump and runs on 20W40.
What does that have to do with the Duramax? Nothing.
Oh, and another consideration; XW40s protects against fuel dilution better than XW30s.

Hey, you started throwing around the $86K price of your 3500 like it was some sort of badge of distinction. I just mentioned that some of us put a lot more on the line than that and have no problem with 30w oils in some of those applications. If you paid that much for a 3500 Dmax, you got ripped off. Sorry. Didn't want to say it before just to be kind, but you upped the ante so deal with it. And if you didn't pay $86K for the 3500, then why include that amount in your argument? Just to be a little melodramatic? And yes, the world is moving on from your antiquated views on what makes or breaks an oil.

After reading this thread, I am still good with Ford's recommendation of 5W-40 for severe duty. I live in northern Vermont and sometimes see -30 degrees. I also tow a 10K fifth wheel and have seen oil temps hit 245 degrees in the mountains out west. So 5W-40 covers my conditions AFAIK. I admit that I buy T6 at $20/gal vs another brand at $24-29, but will change if there is good reason to.
I never understood the OP's quest for cleaner oil. If you want cleaner combustion, start with the fuel, not that there is much info there, but there are products that claim to reduce soot in the combustion process.
However, the 2015 Powerstroke regens at 500 miles even if soot build up is low. Without towing, I see regens start at around 3.5 grams per liter, but towing implements heat for passive regens and I've had regens with as low as .9 grams per liter just because it can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back