Embarrassing Question about Additive in Lawnmower!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pip

Hi - wasn't quite sure where to post this and I know this is really dumb and I am embarrased to ask, but…

My elderly father has a very old petrol mower (possibly 30 years old). It has run brilliantly in all that time but recently it started to become uneven. My teenage son, apparently having read something about alcohol in the fuel mix improving running, tipped a bottle of 70% proof vodka into the tank! (I know, I know…). Incredibly the mower still runs! But it is making a lot of noise and backfiring horrendously.

I assume this is related...?! Is there any hope? Any advice would be much appreciated; my father would hate to see it go.

PS - yes, my son has been grounded.

Many thanks

Last edited:
Drain it all out and refill with proper gas, and all should be good after it runs for a few minutes to clear the lines etc.

The gas fumes should be awesome.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
smile.gif

Not only that, but tank fill-ups can be fun; one for you, one for me.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: opus1
Originally Posted By: MolaKule
smile.gif

Not only that, but tank fill-ups can be fun; one for you, one for me.
grin.gif

too funny!!!

don't be too hard on the lad eh, pip? chalk it up to learning and asking before acting....
i can't tell you how many things i have learned at the school of hard knocks.

the lawnmower should be fine just do as mentioned above drain all fuel and add new fuel. may take a few minutes to clean out any remaining-hiccup er vodka...

may even have cleaned out what was causing the rough idle possibly but it should not be any worse....

now about the teen age boy having access to alcohol, that is a bit worry some!

Last edited:
Dump the tank and use fresh gas. The issue is that 70 proof vodka is 35% alcohol and 65% water.

If its Gray Goose vodka, I would pour it from the tank into shot glasses. Why waste Gray Goose.

Since the problem is likely with all the added water, what about adding a bunch of Heet (or similar stuff) to the tank?
Draining the present mix should work fine, but I'd be worried about what to do with the stuff...not a fan of people who just pour it on the ground or into a nearby body of water.

How much Vodka was put into the gas? Run it and see how it runs. Water is heavier than gas so if there is a problem you probably would have to drain the carb anyway.

I once finished a lawn by using a bottle of dry gas, so called, in the mower when stuck without a car with no gas around. That mower ran another 15 years.

HerrStig:

thanks for your anecdote, so that I may learn...

Talk about necessity some what being the mother of invention.!

did it sputter any on the dry gas?

Of course the dry gas(methanol or alcohol variety) was likely not to have the water content of the vodka.

Many thanks everyone for the advice! So my son's last job will be going round to his granddad's to drain the tank and refill as suggested this week (whether he likes it or not!).

Obviously we laugh about it now - despite the loss of an expensive bottle of vodka
wink.gif

Just as a matter of interest - because the whole family is fascinated now! - why does alcohol cause an engine to backfire?

Thanks again, Pip

I added vodka in my robotic lawnmower. I had to drain it because it would not cut in a straight line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back