Rental cars being low on fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
The past two cars I've rented have been low on coolant and windshield washer fluid. The cars were from different rental agencies and booked well in-advance. I had to go back -- once to another branch in the middle of a road trip -- to have everything topped off. What's the deal here? Is it too much to expect to receive a car with the proper fluid levels? The overflow tanks in these cars were bone dry. I wouldn't be surprised if the tire pressures were off as well.

Last edited:
What are the rental companies ? The good ones have on-site mechanics who check the condition of all return vehicles before renting out.

The places here are just a store front in a parking lot. As soon as a car gets turned in it gets rented out in minutes. They make the employees wear a suit and tie. No way would these guys do anything that may get the suit dirty. The car my mom rented a few years ago was 2 qts low on oil.

Driving a rental is no different from your own car. As the operator you should know what the fluid levels are, tire pressure is, etc. If the tire pressure in one tire is 10 psi and you crash and die on the highway, you are still dead.

Question still stands which company did you rent from?

They are not all the same, there are tiers for the rental agencies, and if you did not pick the top tier agency and instead were bargain shopping, this may happen more frequently.

It's the same as eating at fast food. You shouldn't be getting beef lips and beef **** , but if you're eating at taco bell, and getting fed for $3.99, there's going to be some times when you're going to get some beef lips and beef ****.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: raytseng
Question still stands which company did you rent from?

They are not all the same, there are tiers for the rental agencies, and if you did not pick the top tier agency and instead were bargain shopping, this may happen more frequently.

It's the same as eating at fast food. You shouldn't be getting beef lips and beef **** , but if you're eating at taco bell, and getting fed for $3.99, there's going to be some times when you're going to get some beef lips and beef ****.

Beaks n Klaws haha!

When you rent as much as I have, you'll see it all.

Most are in good shape, and well maintained. Some are not.

I do the vast majority of my rentals through Budget. They tend to do a good job, and I can get good rates from them. I've been pleased with them.

In my experience, the wild card is Enterprise. You can get some really good rentals from them, and some really bad rentals from them. And their maintenance can be nearly non-existant as well.

I do an average of 50 rentals a year over the past 18 years. Many times 2 different rentals a week. I've used all the majors over the years. The first few years I checked fluids, now the only reason I open the hood, if I do it at all, is to see what motor it has. All new cars have TPMS so I dont worry about tire pressure, and if you run out of washer fluid, buy a gallon, keep your receipt, and they all will deduct it at the end.
My biggest deal isnt fluids, its miles on the car. High miles equals thin tires and bad wiper blades.

I rent quite a bit, the only fluid I check is the fuel. Not my problem if they don't maintain their fleet. I'm usually renting from the airport and get to pick my car, so I usually try to find the lowest mileage/model I haven't rented from anyway.

Rental cars get nasty quick.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
I rent quite a bit, the only fluid I check is the fuel. Not my problem if they don't maintain their fleet. I'm usually renting from the airport and get to pick my car, so I usually try to find the lowest mileage/model I haven't rented from anyway.

Rental cars get nasty quick.

That they do....

I can't believe anyone checks the fluid of their rental. I've never heard of anyone doing that. It's their car their problem.

I'm with BubbaTime here. I treat a rental car exactly as I would mine own.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Driving a rental is no different from your own car. As the operator you should know what the fluid levels are, tire pressure is, etc. If the tire pressure in one tire is 10 psi and you crash and die on the highway, you are still dead.

I worked for Budget in the LA area many years ago. I hope they have improved since then, but let's just say I wouldn't buy a used car from them. I have bought cars that were rentals and had really good "luck" with them.

Last edited:
I rented a Taurus in Florida. The sales guy said I'd be charged or credited based on the amount of gas in the tank and jotted down the miles until empty. It had about 3/4 of a tank of gas and said something like 375 miles until empty. When I took of on the highway it said 450 miles until empty. I do drove it 150 miles put about 3 gallons of gas in it and the ended up with a small credit on my bill. I never checked the other fluids.

From A Hertz contract.

HIRER'S OBLIGATIONS
8. The hirer shall ensure that:
a) all reasonable care is taken when driving and parking the vehicle;
b) the water in the vehicle's radiator and battery is maintained at the proper level;
c) the oil in the vehicle is maintained at the proper level;
d) only the fuel type specified for the vehicle will be used;
e) the tyres are maintained at their proper pressure;
f) the vehicle is locked and secure at all times when it is not in use and the keys kept under the hirer's personal control at all times;
g) the distance recorder or speedometer are not interfered with;
h) no part of the engine, transmission, braking or suspension systems are interfered with;
i) should a warning light be illuminated or the hirer believes the vehicle requires mechanical attention, the hirer will stop driving and advise the owner immediately;
j) all drivers authorised to use this vehicle during the term of hire are aware of and comply with the terms outlined in the Rental Agreement; and
k) any authorised driver carries their driver's licence with them in the vehicle at all times and will produce it on demand to any enforcement officer

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
I can't believe anyone checks the fluid of their rental. I've never heard of anyone doing that. It's their car their problem.

Bitogers would and should.

The other 99% would not.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: user52165
Originally Posted By: Nate1979

Bitogers would and should.

The other 99% would not.

^ This.

I'm not checking the fluid levels and tire pressures as a favor to the companies, I do it to make sure I don't get stranded somewhere and have my vacation plans disrupted or have to pay for repairs. I even went so far once as to follow break-in procedures for a rental I got back in the late 80's that had all of 100 miles on it when I was handed the keys.

So far, I've only had 2 vehicles that were low, one on coolant, and one that was over 2 quarts low on oil. I only bought enough oil to get the level to exist somewhere above the "add" line, and I was reimbursed for the oil when I returned the car.

And, thanks to those 99%, I'll never buy a used rental.

I never pop the hood on a rental. Our local Enterprise is pretty good and I can usually pick out a decent vehicle from the lot.

Last two rentals I had were low on everything (tires included, bald) but oil.

And both of them had oil that was wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy past due for a change. The Jetta was like 10K past it's jiffy lube set 3K interval.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back