Question for anyone who works at a Ford/GM dealer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all, quick question. As alot of you know I'm in college for diesel technology. My question is, to become a diesel mechanic for say Ford, Chevrolet, GMC, etc. Do I need any certifications from Ford/GM themselves, or just my diesel degree? I know that normal Ford mechanics typically need Ford ASSET or similar certification, but what about diesel? Thanks!

In order to do any warranty work you must be Ford certified. When I went to school ASSET schools were the only ones that were recognized by Ford. That was years ago and things change but then a tech would have still have to be sent by their dealership to the regional Ford training center to get certified in each area they are to do warranty work on.

As far as customer pay work each dealership is a franchise and can set their own standards there. If they want only senior master techs or to hire the cheapest people willing to show up that is up to them.

Last edited:
You need Ford certification. Most dealers will not hire graduates from UTI or WyoTech anymore because they have to have them unlearn everything and start over. All the graduates from UTI we have had at my dealer seem to have some really bad habits taught there.

We seem to have better luck with students from the local CC auto program, we get them and send them to Ford school at a normal pace. Plus they aren't burdened with an extra 60-70K in student loans.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
bdcardinal,

What's the starting pay at your dealership for a diesel tech ?

From what I have heard from the techs $30-35 per flagged hour. We only have one at at time, not enough consistent work for more. Door labor rate is $140 an hour and we have more work than we can handle.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
bdcardinal,

What's the starting pay at your dealership for a diesel tech ?

From what I have heard from the techs $30-35 per flagged hour. We only have one at at time, not enough consistent work for more. Door labor rate is $140 an hour and we have more work than we can handle.
That is not a whole lot of money for what is required. A butt load of continueing education the cost of tools and the pressure and being treated like [censored]. I worked for a forklift dealership for 23 years and I went to the continuing education classes almost constantly to keep up with all the new [censored] and it seems it is requirement to be on top of the game. We did lots of fleet type work on some customers other vehicles. I quit working in the year 2000 and I was making $27.00 per hour full med and dentist. 3 weeks paid vacation 7 days paid sick leave and all holidays paid off. Christmas ,new years presidents day. Easter , Memorial day .Fourth of July, labor day and Thanksgiving.. Plus I was treated like gold it was an awesome job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back