Which Screwdriver Set?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an itch (but not really a need) for some new screwdrivers. These are not for professional use. Far from it. I am a lowly homeowner who likes to tinker from time to time. I currently have a tool box full of the everyday stuff...Stanley, Harbor Freight, craftsman, etc. I would like to step up a notch or two. As of this time, I have the following sets in my Amazon cart:
Williams 100P-8MD 8 Piece
-or-
Klein Tools 85078

Need to eliminate one of those sets before hitting the purchase button.

From reading reviews all over the interwebz, it seems that this comes down to a Ford/Chevy/Dodge thing....personal preference.

If I want to stay in this price range (give or take 20 bucks), would you agree/disgree that either of these is a fine choice?

I also looked at some German stuff. Was intrigued by the Wera Kraftform Plus. Could be in the running too.

Thoughts?
thanks

PS - Yes, I know I could go to Wally World and pick up a Stanley set that would suit me just fine. But, sometimes I just want something a little better, whether I NEED it or not.

The Williams are very similar to the old SO drivers, but not exactly the same. Threads over on Garage Journal have put them side-by-side and noted small differences.

Williams also doesn't have a really large selection of sizes/lengths.

Klein won't warranty normal wear, but that doesn't really matter that much to me.

Either is good. The best bet would be to fondle both and see which you like better.

Yeah, I have looked at the SK's and noted they should be in the running also. I guess they didn't make my final two because they don't seem to be as popular. I read several threads at Garage Journal and noted that William's are 'almost' identical to the older Snap-On's, and I know Klein is one of the Legendary can't-go-wrong performers.
Maybe it truly does not make a big difference between the ones mentioned.....especially for a home-body like me who will never (sometimes regretfully) use tools on a daily basis. All of these mentioned are likely a big step up from the box store brands. Right?

Any experience with the Wera Kraftform Plus drivers? Seems like the laser etching at the tips as well as the ergo handles would make them worth of considering? of course, I think this set is smaller in size than the Williams and Klein sets that are in my 'final two' so maybe not a fair comparison.

> All of these mentioned are likely a big step up from the box store brands. Right?

yes.

If I'm going to do household electrical I grab Klein. The match of their flat blade drivers to screws is great.

Automotive: I grab something other than Klein, probably because I'm going to get them greasy and it's easier to clean up my other screwdrivers with solvent, while with the Klein I'd have to use water-based hand cleaner to clean them.

I think the Wera grips are for smaller hands. I don't like the feel much.

I love those Williams handles. The tips look nice too. (I have some Snap-On branded versions.) You should also check out the Williams WRS-1 Magnetic Ratcheting Screwdriver.

Thanks Spackard. Your thought pretty much mirror what I had read.
Already have a couple of cheap ratcheting drivers. Decided I don't want anymore...although if I were to stop and think practically, that would be a great choice for the wanna-be tool guy like me.
Don't want to go full Snap-on quality. Would be great to have, but would be a shame that they would never be put to work at their full potential at my place.

Done deal. Ordered the Williams 8 piece set.
And, since this is BITOG, and my CLEVY endorsed fave supply was running low for my OPE, I ordered more Liqui Moly MoS2
wink.gif

Thanks for all the advice.

Those Wiha's were on the short list too! I think any of the brands mentioned in this post would have been good choices.

Originally Posted By: Geauxtiger
Don't want to go full Snap-on quality.

Too late for that. That's what you're getting with the Williams set.
smile.gif

Lemme rephrase that....don't wanna go full snap on PRICE.
wink.gif

Last edited:
Look what Fed-Ex left at my front door this morninig.
Nice feel to the drivers. I think these will work out fine.
Also picked up a 20-pack of flap discs..... 20 for $25. I use them mainly for lawnmower blade sharpening. This should be enough to keep my and neighbors' blades in good shape for quite some time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back