Boat Anchors Award

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: TFB1

Guess you weren't around for the '70s??? About everything from around '79 up was a breath of fresh air compared to 'most '73-'78 models...

As far as just plain junk, nothing posted so far comes close to the 2300 Vega motor...

So I'll post a another top contender, GM's 5.7 Olds diesel... 105Hp in a 4000lb pound full size model was pitiful... Biggest problem was the tendency to break head bolts, blow head gaskets or toss the crank out of the bottom of block(generally with ZERO notice)... Injection pumps rarely lasted 50K mi, usually car was on it's second engine when that failed...

I would tend to agree.

My mom had a 1975 Chrysler Cordoba that had recurrent carburetor and ignition issues. Probably trying to tune for lean burn and emissions.

Her 1978 Zephyr with the 3.3L I6 was ok. She wouldn't follow the cold start instructions and it would stall several times before the first stop sign a half a block from our home.

If I started it, according to the big sticker Ford/Mercury put on the sun visor, it would go just fine. You had to pump it once to set the choke.

Fortunately, the auto industry has largely perfected the ECM, and in the mid to late 1980's, computer controlled ignition and fuel injection was reliable and literally made most cars a turn-key operation.

Originally Posted By: used_0il

They said it couldn't be done, but I built a +.030 307 SBC flat top pistons, 208/214 @ 109, 1.6/1.5 rockers and 1.94/1.6 ported 305 heads that actually made decent power in a lifted 4X4 with 13.50X40 MTRs.

The 307 Chevy was a stroked 283, and there were certainly a lot of hot 283's built before the 327 came out. The 307 never got any love because they never built any hot ones from the factory. But if someone really wanted to hotrod one, it could make some good power.

Originally Posted By: hardcore302
115 hp jetta current model. Wow...
Yeah my aunt had one as a loaner car at the dealership, wow was that thing slow! My old TDI would have walked all over it!

LOL yeah I would say the 2.slow Jetta is about as close as you'll come to experiencing driving in the 80's. I'm not old enough to drive in the 80's, but old enough to get leftovers from the 80's when I was 16.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Originally Posted By: used_0il

They said it couldn't be done, but I built a +.030 307 SBC flat top pistons, 208/214 @ 109, 1.6/1.5 rockers and 1.94/1.6 ported 305 heads that actually made decent power in a lifted 4X4 with 13.50X40 MTRs.

The 307 Chevy was a stroked 283, and there were certainly a lot of hot 283's built before the 327 came out. The 307 never got any love because they never built any hot ones from the factory. But if someone really wanted to hotrod one, it could make some good power.

Agreed, hit the nail dead center... All the 307 was designed for was to get grandma to church and the Piggly Wiggly...

I had one for a short while in a '72 Nova, was adequate(someone with $$$ wanted more than I did)...

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Yeah my aunt had one as a loaner car at the dealership, wow was that thing slow! My old TDI would have walked all over it!

LOL you ain't lived till you've driven a Olds 98 or Fleetwood Caddy with a 105Hp Olds 5.7 diesel...

Originally Posted By: Nick1994

I have a '15 Jetta S 2.0 w/auto. Definitely the boat anchor award winner for a modern car you can purchase today.

Will say it lugs it way around town and keeps up with traffic quite nicely thanks to a nice early torque wave, its when you try to push past 40-50% that it falls flat on its face. Driving around metro Atlanta I can easily keep up with traffic with the auto shifting at 2300-3000 RPM, its when you need full on speed that you really have to push it.

Will admit it makes a nice growl compared to most 4 bangers.

Chrysler A604 transmission. Came with the 1990 Dodge Spirit ES V6 I bought brand new. Had 3 rebuilds done under the 7/70 warranty. Third rebuild lasted less than 12,000 miles and Chrysler said too bad (it was out of the 7/70 warranty). Took them to small claims court and I got every cent back for the 4th rebuild. Soon sold it after that. Other than the trans I did like the Spirit.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bladecutter

The 229 ci V-6.

I had one in an '82 Monte Carlo, and oh my god was that thing just a steaming pile of crud.

Glad to know that I wasn't the only one.
However, it matched the rest of the car so perfectly.

Originally Posted By: road_rascal
Chrysler A604 transmission. Came with the 1990 Dodge Spirit ES V6 I bought brand new. Had 3 rebuilds done under the 7/70 warranty. Third rebuild lasted less than 12,000 miles and Chrysler said too bad (it was out of the 7/70 warranty). Took them to small claims court and I got every cent back for the 4th rebuild. Soon sold it after that. Other than the trans I did like the Spirit.

Had 2 Chryslers with that transmission.
Both had to be replaced with < 80K.
At least when my '93 Fifth Avenue puked its transmission at 66K, it was thoughtful enough to do it at the stop light in front of the Chrysler dealership. Took the 7/70 rebuild under warranty and traded it as fast as I could.
When my '94 Lebaron convertible did the same at 80K, it was transmission from the boneyard and a quick sale.

My personal vote is a 1979 Ford LTD with a 302 and the variable venturi mess they tried to pass off as a carburator.

Originally Posted By: Tdbo
My personal vote is a 1979 Ford LTD with a 302 and the variable venturi mess they tried to pass off as a carburator.

The Chrysler "Lean Burn" engines were a nightmare also.

No worse than many trucks from not that long ago. Heck, an Isuzu NQR was moving 12,500lbs with 135HP! An F450 could have had 170HP moving 14,000lbs.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
The old slant six engines were bulletproof though. Probably part of that was just how under stressed they were.

I agree, they were practically indestructible. I had a '68 Coronet with who-know-how-many miles on it, drove it for five years and two (manual) transmissions later, put the engine in my mother's '73 Duster which had a rod failing. That engine was SO slow but ran smooth as silk. Eventually it was so tired that the car itself was retired; however, I still have that engine today on a stand. Pulled it over 20 years ago... saving it for ???rebuild??!!

The MoPar 30-D Economy Six was probably the most reliable engine of its day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back