Anchor Brewing discontinuing national distribution

It's been owned by Sapporo since 2017, and it was assumed that they would help with distribution. But now they won't have their annual Christmas Ale release and will restrict distribution to California.

The San Francisco brewer will halt national distribution of all of its beers, including its signature Anchor Steam Beer. Currently, the beer is available in all 50 states. Going forward, Anchor beers will be available only within California, which represents 70% of its sales, according to a company representative.​
Then, this coming holiday season, Anchor won’t be releasing one of its signature offerings: Anchor Christmas Ale, a dark winter warmer made annually since 1975. A small amount, however, will be for sale solely at Anchor Public Taps for visitors to the tasting room.​

There was a beer from them called Anchor Steam Beer if I recall correctly, the Beer was awesome!

Yeah. They got a lot of grief for their bottle/can redesign.

4mn73ldt9gc71.jpg

First beer I ever had! Was ok I guess. Never bought it since though. Not that I buy beer often. I don’t drink much and if I do it’s not beer usually.

I loved it but everytime i found it down here it never tasted right. Draft in california its amazing.

A lot of craft brewers make a christmas ale, but their anchor steam is a legendary brew in my eyes.

They’re shutting down now.

This article is a bit older but mentions the chaos there in the past few months.

I thin I enjoyed Anchor Steam decades ago.

We have so many small craft beers locally, the national stuff is getting ignored. Even Finest Kind which was pretty big got sold. I was not previously a fan.

Up here in NH this is my go to:

stonefaceIPA.jpeg

They’re shutting down now.

This article is a bit older but mentions the chaos there in the past few months.

That is a shame. First had an Anchor Steam on a visit to Palo Alto (my then GF’s parents were professors) about 40 years ago. Enjoyed it then.

Watched the company bring their signature Anchor Steam to the east coast a while ago.

This is the end of an era.

I thin I enjoyed Anchor Steam decades ago.

We have so many small craft beers locally, the national stuff is getting ignored. Even Finest Kind which was pretty big got sold. I was not previously a fan.

Up here in NH this is my go to:

View attachment 166479

The brand and recipes might be sold, but it would be like how other brands were saved but just made in another brewery. Part of the lore of Anchor was that they were made in San Francisco.

We do have a lot of small breweries around the San Francisco Bay Area with regional distribution.

Without them and many others I could list craft would not exist it's sad to see them go.

I can't seem to find, specifically, whether this closing includes the distillery. I gave up alcohol a year ago, but Anchor Distilling produced some excellent spirits.

I can't seem to find, specifically, whether this closing includes the distillery. I gave up alcohol a year ago, but Anchor Distilling produced some excellent spirits.

It was split and sold off when Fritz Maytag sold in 2010 to a group of investors. They changed their name in a trademark dispute when Sapporo bought Anchor Brewing in 2017.

About us​

Hotaling & Co., the leading San Francisco importer & distiller, offers the finest curated portfolio of premium artisanal spirits including Luxardo Liqueurs, Nikka Whisky, Kavalan Whisky, HINE Cognac, Denizen Rum, and HIRSCH Selected Whiskeys. Hotaling & Co., originally named Anchor Distilling Company, was established in 1993 and is credited with releasing America’s first craft whiskey (Old Potrero) and American craft gin (Junipero Gin) after Prohibition. In 2010, Anchor Distilling Company was sold to a business partnership that included Tony Foglio and London's oldest wine and spirit merchant, Berry Bros. & Rudd and began expanding to incorporate a collection of super-premium artisanal spirits imported from around the world. In 2017, Anchor Distilling became Hotaling & Co. The new name is a nod to one of Anchor Distilling’s most beloved small batch whiskies (Old Potrero Hotaling’s Whiskey) and to the San Francisco legend A.P. Hotaling, who came out West during the Gold Rush and quickly became one of the most reputable spirits dealers in the country. Today, Hotaling & Co. celebrates exciting growth and achievements; marking its 26th year of distilling and its 10th year of commercially uniting artisan distillers from around the world and sharing their stories to discerning consumers. HotalingandCo.com

Back