Anyone rennet when M1 15w50 came out?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi again and there is a fellow member who tells me he remembers M1 15w50EP. Any of you guys and ladies remember this? I had not paid attention to when this came about. I am a history guy so forgive me if I don't remember. Thank you folks

Originally Posted By: car51
Hi again and there is a fellow member who tells me he remembers M1 15w50EP.

There has never been M1 15w50 EP.

M1 15w50 was introduced around 1980 or so, AFAIK.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
There has never been M1 15w50 EP.

I used Mobil 1 15W50 Extended Performance for years. It was the first oil I used in my Nissan. It was known back then as "15W50 Gold Cap".

1zzgoxt.jpg

I might still have some red cap and silver cap at the warehouse of junk. I used to use 15/50 in the Xj12.

I don't recall there being any special rarity or anything like that.

Yeah QP, need to phrase what you know into what you think or remember. "I dont remember any gold top M1". Such as that.

When I got my first sportbike, red top 15w-50 was all the rage on the forums. Then I had an ATV that used the EP gold top, it was air-cooled.

We used M1 15w50 in the big V12 marine engines at Torque Engineering Corp. during the period of 1998-2002. I couldn't swear to what color the caps were, though.

From what I remember,the red cap was discontinued and the gold cap remained. The gold cap was then discontinued (Target clearanced theirs out at a dollar a quart,so I cleaned the shelf!). For awhile M1 15W50 was completely discontinued and apparently it caused a huge uproar between loyal customers and Mobil. Mobil then had a banner on their website that said "Back by popular demand,Mobil 1 15W50" (which then became knows as Mobil 1 15W50 silver cap).

Mobil 1 15W50 seems to be legendary and has a kind've "cult following".

Originally Posted By: car51
So did it come back in 2002 by the one jug advertising a race or later?

No it was definitely later than that. 2003-2004 I was still buying fresh stock 15W50 EP. I can't remember exactly though. After Mobil discontinued the 15W50 I started using Royal Purple 20W50 (Synerlec version). I was able to get it at dealership cost (maybe 3-4 dollars a quart). I'd buy it by the case. I was paying around $40 for a case of 12 quarts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back