Rotella T5 10W30, 10110 mi, 1998 volvo 960

Status
Not open for further replies.
The rear main seal leaks so we have added 2 1/3 qts between oil drains. Sump is 6 qts. I'm wondering how much this affected the TBN. My thinking is the TBN is higher due to some of the oil being newer. Is this rational? What are your thoughts?

z7zJ07a.png

Awesome wear metals but if it's really leaking that much run a HM oil for crying out loud haha see how consumption goes then but if you plan on keeping the car maybe get the RMS replaced

Originally Posted By: 19jacobob93
Awesome wear metals but if it's really leaking that much run a HM oil for crying out loud haha see how consumption goes then but if you plan on keeping the car maybe get the RMS replaced

A robust oil like Rotella should already be hi-mi. also SM rated.

Originally Posted By: 01_celica_gt
rear main seal leaked 2.33...quarts in ~10k miles, I highly doubt it.

My son had a 2002 Dodge Neon w a leaky RMS. 2+ quarts in 10,000 miles is not hard. OP - I'd try MaxLife red bottle 10W-30 or 10W-40.

A quart or so every 5000 miles is really not bad at all and certainly not worth repairing. You can try other oils etc or OTC remedies but none work IMO, just keep driving it and check the oil

IMO this is an incredible report for 10,000 miles

I had the same car some years back loved that car except for that rear main seal that would leak like crazy! I had best results running Mobil 1 10w30 in winter and 15w50 in summer I put around 200,000 miles on that car and sold it. About a year ago I noticed this woman parked at a gas station I was at driving the car she continued on the same oil and change interval I used with the M1 and the car now had 350,000 miles and yes the rear main still leaked she had it replaced twice but still leaked!

Sometimes the flame trap will get clogged with engine sludge and raise crankcase pressure. When that happens, it makes a rear main seal leak worse than it already is. Has the flame trap even been replaced?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back