Coolant change question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did a drain and refill on the radiator last night. Opened the bleed screw until I saw coolant. Let the motor run (I have a lisle funnel) until the tstat opened and it pretty much stopped burping. The heat took a bit longer than usual to get hot. What’s got me a bit worried is that once I press the accelerator, the heat gets scolding hot. Once I let go, it goes back to “very warm/hot”. Is this normal or indicative of an air bubble? I’ve got through about 3-4 warm-up/cool down cycles and the level of coolant in the overflow hasn’t changed.
I can try opening the bleed screw again but wouldn’t that not do anything if the air bubble is possibly in the heater core? If I should re-open the bleeder, what is the procedure? (radiator cap off, drain the overflow, etc). Thanks in advance.

2010 5.7 Jeep COmmander

When you're bleeding the system, keep the blower motor OFF but the heat turned all the way to hot. Then rev the engine several times to 2500 RPM or so until the cooling fans kick on 2-3 times. This will ensure all air pockets are gone from the system -- including the heater core.

so the heat stays off but the dial is turned to max heat?
There are no fluctuations in the temp gauge. The heat just blows hotter when the accelerator is pressed and returns to very warm/hot when released.

Originally Posted By: BigD7

There are no fluctuations in the temp gauge. The heat just blows hotter when the accelerator is pressed and returns to very warm/hot when released.

It sounds pretty normal. Higher RPM = more flow through the engine and more heat being generated.

Originally Posted By: BigD7
so the heat stays off but the dial is turned to max heat?

When bleeding, you want the temp control set to max hot, and the blower speed low

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back