2015 Subaru Shortened OCI

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just purchased a 2015 Subaru Outback for my wife and the OCI has decreased from 7000 miles on our 14 to 6000 miles on the 15. This is with synthetic 0w20. Is there a known reason for this. On my 14 at 7k the oil barely had any color to it.

Because of all the issues automakers are having with consumers from the USA, and the issues Subaru is having with their engines.

Change it as required, keep your records/receipts, and an accurate maintenance log.

Consumers are now performing the drivetrain R&D for the automaker
crackmeup2.gif

I haven't even done the first OC yet, maybe in another month. I haven't noticed it using any oil yet and the 14 I had barely used any oil either. I have read about people with high oil consumption, but I think it is a small percentage.

The OCI for your '14 is 7,500 miles.

The OCI was shortened for your '15, because some FB engines are/have been having consumption issues, and we can't expect people to check their oil between changes, so lowering the OCI was the solution.

You would think that Subaru would have fixed the oil consumption issue by now... good grief.

As stated, because of consumption. Most vehicle owners, Subaru or not, don't bother to check the oil.

If you keep up with the oil level, you can go the "old" distance. I saw zero consumption on my '15 Outback 2.5 in 6000 miles.

Good news is they've fixed the oil consumption issue for '15 model year. Bad news is, you still have to follow the lower OCI during your warranty period.

I had already decided to change my '14 FXT at ~5k intervals, but I sure found it odd and noteworthy when Subie changed the intervals on the '15s without any obvious engine differences compared to previous years. Also strange to me that the FA eng got the lowered rec when it seems like the FB is the bigger consumption offender, but that impression of mine may be due to the fact that there are a lot more FBs out there in the US and the volume of complaints about them would tend to be higher even if the FA drank just as much.
Haven't had a hint of oil consumption through 30k miles, hope it stays that way.

I think its not just that people don't check their oil. The Subie has an oil light for that. The problem is that oil consumption is hard on the oil (less oil in sump means less oil to handle contaminants). So, if people dont keep it constantly topped up the oil has to work harder.

I will not consider a Subaru until I know for sure they fixed this issue. We want to trade in our 2011 Santa Fe Limited v6 and were considering an Outback.

I'd assume you were looking at a V6 based upon your other vehicles, does that engine also have the reputation of being an oil drinker?

Last edited:
We have a 2014 Outback with the FB25 and have had no consumption issues at all. It was probably one of the last 2014's produced which might have something to do with it. It's just been outstanding so far.

Originally Posted By: Boss302fan
I will not consider a Subaru until I know for sure they fixed this issue. We want to trade in our 2011 Santa Fe Limited v6 and were considering an Outback.

Get the Six...it doesn't have the consumption issue, it is only the 2.5L 4-cylinder that had the problem.

Strange how such a nice car has oil consumption. On the Mirage forum all of us 13K economy cars are putting down 7500 from the factory without any oil consumption, granted we only have a few that have gone past 60k miles since the Mirage release in 2014.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back