Wix 51315 cut open 5000 miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wix 51315 with 5000 miles on it using Defy 5w-20 from a 2001 Focus. Mostly city driving, short trips and drivers training miles. No start up rattle with this filter. I replaced this filter with a Mobil 1 filter since I got a few for a great price.

This filter looks great so far. I will be cutting open the media at some point to see what it looks like in the middle. With 2 ADBVs, the middle is not visible.
2015-07-25%2019.05.08.jpg

2015-07-25%2019.02.02.jpg

2015-07-25%2019.00.46.jpg

Two ADBVs.
2015-07-25%2019.00.03.jpg

2015-07-25%2018.58.54.jpg

2015-07-25%2018.59.01.jpg

Originally Posted By: jmb3675
.....With 2 ADBVs, the middle is not visible......

Yes this is one the unique/rare applications that use two adbv's. The 'clean side' or centertube one shown is sometimes also referred to as an anti-siphon valve to distinguish it from the silicone adbv.

These applications using this like Ford Focus must be very drain back/dry start sensitive.

This one looks excellent, a quality piece. And contrary to some recent discussion, using this as an example, guess one doesn't have to source a filter from Europe to get high quality construction.

Thanks for the pics.

FL400s wasnt good enough. Ford came out with the FL-2005.

When the newer shorter FL400s came out, it replaced both taller filters.

This is the tall wix filter similar to the 51516 but for the sensitive 2.0!

Its a quality piece.

I see a bypass valve and an anti drain valve for the inlet. Where is this second adbv? I can't see how logically that would even work as to keep oil in the center tube with a valve also means no oil to the engine except through bypass. I would like to see the baseplate pressed onto the adbv to see how that action works as assembled on the car. Why do they use a coil spring, and what keeps the coil spring and element centered. maybe not necessary as it is under pressure? Nice looking element. Mine look blacker after 5k miles usually.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Did you get the Mobil filters off Rockauto?

Yes I did. I ordered them with other parts to get free shipping. They are even cheaper now. They are only $1.11 for the M1-211 on closeout. It also has 2 ADBVs.
The Wix 51315 is also on sale for $1.39

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: goodtimes
I see a bypass valve and an anti drain valve for the inlet. Where is this second adbv? I can't see how logically that would even work as to keep oil in the center tube with a valve also means no oil to the engine except through bypass. I would like to see the baseplate pressed onto the adbv to see how that action works as assembled on the car. Why do they use a coil spring, and what keeps the coil spring and element centered. maybe not necessary as it is under pressure? Nice looking element. Mine look blacker after 5k miles usually.

Second and fourth pictures are the ADBVs and the third is the bypass. This filter has a thread end bypass. The valve in the fourth picture looks like a dome end bypass, except it is mounted at the thread end of the filter.

I see the black holes which I thought were part of the thread end bypass system, the inlet holes for the bypass valve. Then of course there is the red adbv, which I would like to see how it fits on the baseplate because it is a little complex system it seems.

Originally Posted By: jmb3675
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Did you get the Mobil filters off Rockauto?

Yes I did. I ordered them with other parts to get free shipping. They are even cheaper now. They are only $1.11 for the M1-211 on closeout. It also has 2 ADBVs.
The Wix 51315 is also on sale for $1.39

I was wrong, It was Amazon I got them from.

Last edited:
Thanks for pointing out that Rock Auto clearance special!

I just got two M1's, a Wix, and a Hastings. $4 for four filters, $9 for shipping.

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
I see the black holes which I thought were part of the thread end bypass system, the inlet holes for the bypass valve. Then of course there is the red adbv, which I would like to see how it fits on the baseplate because it is a little complex system it seems.

The black holes are the bypass. The black is the valve and there is a spring behind it.

First ADBV (silicone):
2015-07-25%2019.02.02.jpg

Sitting on the bypass.

2015-07-26%2012.02.32.jpg

sitting on mounting plate.

Second ADBV (Anti-Siphon valve:
2015-07-25%2019.00.03.jpg

Bypass sitting on filter:
2015-07-25%2019.00.46.jpg

The spring:
2015-07-26%2012.03.19.jpg

2015-07-26%2012.03.10.jpg

Every time I put the filter back in the can the small indentation where the spring sits on the filter centers the spring. I did it real slow a few times and it still centered itself. I was curious to see if it centered itself, and it did every time.

Good pictures, thanks for displaying them. The ADBV looks to center and hold close around the thread, unlike some other brands. I think the can flutes also keep the element centered from your pictures. Quite honestly I can't understand the second adbv, although I see it. It must have a weak spring. It looks like a normal bypass valve is made. Lot of complexity in this one, to me, it probably has been hashed over many times before.

I happen to like Wix a lot of shops i know use them now because of their good quality and price.. Wix is pretty much my go to filter although i am giving Fram ultra a shot and so far so good... The uoa and the cut open filter will be the deciding point.

COD ... I'm sure you'll like what you see when it's cut open and when you get the UOA data. Be sure to give us the scoop.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
I happen to like Wix a lot of shops i know use them now because of their good quality and price.. Wix is pretty much my go to filter although i am giving Fram ultra a shot and so far so good... The uoa and the cut open filter will be the deciding point.

There's no Fram Ultra for this application. The part number would be XG8316 if it existed.

The good news is that M1, Wix, and Hastings filters for the Zetec are super cheap on Rock Auto clearance right now.

Man Wix makes a nice looking filter. I am tempted to try one of these on my Jeep in the Silver version. Tried an 8316 orange can but did not have a happy ending.

Have had great results with the standard 31516 though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back