bosch D + * Not Impressed * PICS

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got this Bosch Distance plus and had it in for 5000 miles only. I just cut it open and to my shock it was broken. I seen this happen in Purolator. Matter of fact the last Purolater Oil filter I cut open did this..

Look at pics you can see the bottom end caps is OFF and when I removed it from the can at first I was like where is the metal end cap for the bottom, then I seen it there.

Not impressed for a 12$ oil filter.

Looks fine in this pic and sorry I just took the pics and its night time here.

14bjach.jpg

You can clearly see the bottom end caps not there
2s8hcpc.jpg

You can see here also.

2rxtk4x.jpg

Here is the end cap and you can see the bypass is connected to the end cap

2j4d654.jpg

xdceiw.jpg

I think / know the same company who makes Purolator makes the Boesh Distance Plus.

Now whats strange as I told you the last time a cut a a filter open that did this exact same thing was a Purolator... However this one the black bonding agent is still in once peice and on the Purolator it was all broken up.

Has anyone else seen this on a Boesh Distance Plus?

Out of last 4 oil changes I used

A01 and then A01 and then this Boesh Distance Plus and on this change I used a FRAM ULTRA.

Ill never use a Boesh Distane Plus again even if its given to me.

Its sad that Bosch allow a sub standard 3rd party to manufacture filters that will bear the Bosch name.

You guys need to start buying Bosch, Mahle and Mann from Europe where they are made, rather than using US copies that aren't upto the standards that we would expect.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
What I am impressed with is how you managed to get a pitch black background.

LOL,

Thats the Black Plastic Oil pan / catcher that the oil drains into then you screw the cap in.
Then it has a drain part at the top and a handle on the bottom so you can drain it out.

LOL!!!!!!!!!!

what did you think i used photoshop or something.

The camera does have flash

Originally Posted By: Olas
Its sad that Bosch allow a sub standard 3rd party to manufacture filters that will bear the Bosch name.

You guys need to start buying Bosch, Mahle and Mann from Europe where they are made, rather than using US copies that aren't upto the standards that we would expect.

I have used the Bosch Premium. The one that says made with Filtech Technology and when I cut that one open I was impressed...

Also this one was given to me.. I didn't pay for it... Well actually I traded a old A/C Delco PF 47 non E-CORE for this one.

I had my A/C Delco hanging around from my old car that I was in a accident in.. and my buddy had this for his wife's old car that he sold.. I guess the car he has now uses the A/C Delco...

Anyways I would never of paid 12$ for this filter..

I will stick to FRAM ULTRA or TOUGH GAURD or A01s or HAMP or even A02s

1 thing I can say the filter was heavy and the steal can was hard to cut through and the

top plate was very heavy....

Probably has heavy as a NAPA GOLD....

anyways... Sucks to know I had this on my car for 5000 miles.. I wonder how long it was like that and I wonder if that could of caused any dirty oil get passed the filter.

As you can see it don't have a coil spring.. It has a leaf spring...

Also I didn't used to like the FRAM Leaf Spring but I can see the FRAM Leaf spring has more of bend to it .. Perhaps it puts more pressure to keep it together.

Also the FRAM bypass is connected to the leaf spring..

The bypass on this filter was connected to the broken Steal End CAP.

This sucks.

DOES anyone think this caused any extra wear or made the filter not function correctly?

Originally Posted By: David1
what did you think i used photoshop or something.

Yeah, I thought you didn't want nobody to see what's in the background.
grin2.gif

Unfortunately, just European applications have model numbers that are actually made in Europe to the appropriate standards. If it's a Japanese or Korean or North American car, it's going to be something with completely different, inferior construction.

Bosch got rid of their share in this venture, and it's time they pulled up the stakes completely and got someone else to make their non-Euro filters once again. That's what will make Purolator take notice. When Bosch, Motorcraft, SOPUS, Valvoline, and Chrysler decide they no longer want their names on Purolator products, things will change.

The media probably was pressed tightly into the end cap do to pressure of the leaf spring so I doubt much if any dirty oil mixed in.
They musta ran outa glue midway between the assembly of that one lol

Quote:

What's really shameful is that Mann&Hummel (Euro), half owner with Bosch since 06 and full owner of Purolator since 1Q of 2013 has cannibalized Purolator US so badly. Feel sorry for the folks in Fayetteville NC that have to work for the predatory owners.

And really, the only time things will change is when Mann decides to put some money back into Purolator US R&D and QC/QA instead of degrading the Purolator name and product.

But as Mann has filter manufacturing plants in China now perhaps it will be easier for them to shut down Puro US operations and move them to China.

As for the BD+, all I see is an endcap popper. Been discussed here many times, potting clearly looks intact, leaf spring also intact so no bypass. But I agree for $12 I'd be expecting better. And in fact I have had an excellent result over two ocis as shown here.

Originally Posted By: BMWTurboDzl
What does it matter if the piece is compressed and stays put when the entire filter is intact?

Your thought is correct sir. As long as leaf spring is functioning as designed, holding element firmly, it doesn't matter.

But because of other Purolator issues posted here, tears specifically, the endcap popper is viewed by some in a similar light.

Originally Posted By: newninja
whats a "decent" filter?

To read here it must filter all contaminates regardless of size 100% for 100 thousand miles and leave your car smelling minty fresh. But then someone would complain that the smell of mint varies from filter to filter and it is cause by poor quality control. Then someone would get one without the mint smell and proclaim them all bad filters and anyone who uses them is dumb.

Mann/Hummel is in charge of that. It looks like the baseplates aren't clean, maybe oily so they don't stick to the glue. Come off clean. Many quality problems now that the German company took it over. Tearing media, ADBV tears, and off center ADBV. When they were USA owned/managed, Purolator was the go to filter here.
I just put one on my car last week D3225 which has a different construction. Your oil looks clean, it probably sealed well enough to not go around the cap. The same pressure is on the element surface even with a leak, oil is still filtered. To me that would be more annoying than a concern, not like the off kilter ADBV I found on a Bosch recently. The leaf springs put a lot of pressure on the seals, and they center the element in the can, nothing wrong with that. I don't know why some use a coil spring, coil springs suggest movement which isn't taking place in an oil filter I have seen opened, everything is held rigidly. I did see a Microgreen filter that in order to open the ADBV, the whole element moved in on the coil spring.

I never saw one just fall apart like that.

It looks almost like someone cut open the filter to expose the individual components.

It's a good thing you weren't driving down the road when that happened.

I use Bosch Distance + filters regularly and mine never fall apart like that.
laugh.gif

Yeah look how that Bosch filter fell apart into the drain pan. Like a FRAM. Should use a WIX. They WICK the dirt out of the oil 99.9999% exactly @ 20 microns, that's where they got the name WIX. WIX, use WIX. All others are inferior as they include the bigger particles filtered in their data so it sounds like more than it is. They cheat. WIX does not cheat.

Why do people in the US think that the Europeans(especially the Germans) are incapable of making a sub-standard product?

If BMWs, Mercedes, and Audis are so perfect, they would not even need service centers at their dealerships.

Originally Posted By: stchman

Why do people in the US think that the Europeans(especially the Germans) are incapable of making a sub-standard product?

If BMWs, Mercedes, and Audis are so perfect, they would not even need service centers at their dealerships.

They don't think that, they think it's ok to buy rebadged purolators that masquerade as something else. Would you be satisfied with a Rolex that came out of the Casio factory and had a different badge put on it?

Bosch and Mann thought Purolator was good enough to put their name on them. That was before they took charge of making them. If you buy a Rolex from Rolex, you expect a Rolex. Rolex will make sure you do get what you expected, without excuses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back