Royal Purple 5W30 2008 Silverado 5.3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another average RP UOA, at above average costs. Synerlec doesn't seem to do much.
Good switch to PennzPlatPurePlus. Use a Fram Ultra next chance you get and get better oil filtering.

Since you're changing oils wouldn't it be better to see how the TBN is retained by the M1 over the RP? Blackstone's comment is related to the RP of course.

By the looks of the add pack I'd say it's the SN version. The Synerlec version has a ton of moly and zddp.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Since you're changing oils wouldn't it be better to see how the TBN is retained by the M1 over the RP? Blackstone's comment is related to the RP of course.

What does m1 have to do with this thread? He used RP and refilled with pp.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
By the looks of the add pack I'd say it's the SN version. The Synerlec version has a ton of moly and zddp.

And sulphur! LOL! (which of course doesn't show up on a Blackstone UOA).

Originally Posted By: ExMachina
Another average RP UOA, at above average costs. Synerlec doesn't seem to do much.
Good switch to PennzPlatPurePlus. Use a Fram Ultra next chance you get and get better oil filtering.

Actually, most UOA i've seen with RP have looked better (not that this is bad). I also don't think this is HPS.

Typical report for any oil. GM engines have a history of showing more iron and copper than most others, but as we know this has nothing to do with shorter engine life.

I really don't know which RP it is. I put it in there last November. Advanced auto had a oil change special for 5 Quarts and a K&N filter for $44, so I just spent it and bought another quart.

No synerlec in this formula. This is the API SN version of RP. Note the sodium add pack.

The additive package is the same as the link you posted, some numbers are slightly lower (sodium) but remember UOA's can vary in accuracy

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: donnyj08
No synerlec in this formula. This is the API SN version of RP. Note the sodium add pack.

Right, no Synerlec sightings in this one I've learned. They cut their sodium in half from what it was a couple of years ago in their same SN version then, and apparently added light amounts of moly and boron for the first time. A change in formula like that might mean they had to run all the API-ILSAC engine tests again, unless they are just buying an off-the-shelf additive package from Oronite, Afton, Lubrizol, who knows who else. Anybody know whats going on?

The additive package is the same as the link you posted, some numbers are slightly lower (sodium) but remember UOA's can vary in accuracy

No, look at moly and boron levels. And sodium got halved. (It used to look just like Valvoline.)

Unless the moly-boron is just left over from the previous oil in the sump mixed into the new RP SN oil, and the sodium level was reduced due to consumption-PCV venting maybe? Possible I guess.

Last edited:

Right, no Synerlec sightings in this one I've learned. They cut their sodium in half from what it was a couple of years ago in their same SN version then, and apparently added light amounts of moly and boron for the first time. A change in formula like that might mean they had to run all the API-ILSAC engine tests again, unless they are just buying an off-the-shelf additive package from Oronite, Afton, Lubrizol, who knows who else. Anybody know whats going on?

Another likely possibility is that the previous oil contained moly and boron. Likely trace elements are showing up
thumbsup2.gif

Another likely possibility is that the previous oil contained moly and boron. Likely trace elements are showing up
thumbsup2.gif

Moly and boron seemed too much to be merely from left-overs. Might be I guess. Moly at those levels does work as a friction modifier partially effectively at least. Boron I don't know, but some formulas don't use much of that.
Why would sodium drop to half like that?
I guess it doesn't matter, I sure won't be paying extra for the purple-dyed wonder oil.

Last edited:
I forgot to mention that the quart of make up oil was RP 10w30 because they didn't have 5W30 when I stopped by my parts store. Also, the previous oil used in this engine was Castrol Synblend 5W30. I don't know if that makes a difference or not.

Originally Posted By: austinhyd
I forgot to mention that the quart of make up oil was RP 10w30 because they didn't have 5W30 when I stopped by my parts store. Also, the previous oil used in this engine was Castrol Synblend 5W30. I don't know if that makes a difference or not.

Yes, that's likely the reason for the boron and moly if that castrol uses those additives. Certainly nothing wrong with your UOA or the royal purple. For the money I would try the HPS line. I'm going to run it in my 2008 soon. I just ordered a case on sale. The API stuff is decent, but not a great bargain.

As ExMachina said it's similar to synpower, which showed excellent UOA'S on my Silverado. Was this run mostly city driving?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back