08 Honda CRV coolant

Status
Not open for further replies.
Getting a headache from reading thru all the info on what coolant is acceptable to use in a 2008 Honda CRV. The Honda premix is $23 for a gallon of premix!
Do I really need to use this? Or can I use any silicate free coolant? I see Napa has one that's Asian car spec'ed.

Originally Posted By: Bear
....Do I really need to use this? Or can I use any silicate free coolant? I see Napa has one that's Asian car spec'ed.

I would stick with an Asian PHOAT, if possible. The DexClones like Prestone and Peak Long Life are silicate free but contain 2eha which the Asian vehicle manufacturers avoid.

Zerex Asian Formula is an Asian PHOAT, also a premix and should be less expensive and may be what you saw at Napa.

If you have a PepBoys nearby, they now carry 'OEM Brand' Asian AF's by Recochem and they come in full strength. Even comes in a matching Type II color. Full strength mixed with distilled makes it a value too. If you chose a complete distilled flush it is ideal.

The other option is Peak Global Lifetime, silicate free, no 2eha, and comes in full strength from some Napas. The premix can be found at places like Walgreens. It also would/should work well in Asian applications. Using it in my Tacoma now.

"The other option is Peak Global Lifetime, silicate free, no 2eha, and comes in full strength from some Napas. The premix can be found at places like Walgreens. It also would/should work well in Asian applications. Using it in my Tacoma now"

This is the only other coolant I've used in my Honda's since 2001, other than factory Type II. Price is not that much more to have peace of mind.

Thanks, sayjac. I've always used Honda's house brand because I didn't know what was really in the domestic alternatives. Your response to the OP's question is very helpful. I'll add a copy to my DIY folder.

Getting a headache from reading thru all the info on what coolant is acceptable to use in a 2008 Honda CRV. The Honda premix is $23 for a gallon of premix!
Do I really need to use this? Or can I use any silicate free coolant? I see Napa has one that's Asian car spec'ed.

If you have any other Honda dealers around you might want to check their price on Type II. Both my local dealers sell it for $17-$18 a gallon, $23 seems awfully high.

good info guys thanks,
I needed a full strength Asian antifreeze for my Toyota with 22RE,
I want to do a distill flush and then add full strength and distilled water to bring it to correct mix.

Honestly, for as infrequently as I change a fluid like coolant (every 50,000 miles on my schedule), I just use the OEM coolant, whatever that is for the brand I've got at the moment. I've used Chrysler HOAT, Toyota's pink coolant, Honda's blue coolant, GM's DexCool, etc. What's the cost difference between that and a generic...10 bucks every 50,000 miles?

I'll just add my preference is not to use a premixed AF if possible. Don't like paying for half water. Also if ones preference is to do a complete exchange, practically speaking a full strength AF (and distilled water) is the way to go.

The Pep Boys OEM Brand mentioned previously can be had for the next day or two with in store pick up and online code 35FORALL for ~$14.30 + tax for a full strength Asian PHOAT.

OEM-Extended-Life-Bottle-BLUE_A.jpg

^^Ah man, I wish I knew about this stuff when I changed the radiator in my Infiniti a few months back!

Thanks for the quick responses guys.
Trav, the problem with buying the Honda premix coolant at $23/gal is that the CRV calls for something like 1.06 gallons and so I'd have to buy two. So I'm looking at $50 vs $17 (w/ tax).
Then there's the inability to increase the ratio to over 50/50. After doing a distilled H2O flush and draining I dare say I'll not be at 50/50.
I live in a cold climate and always run a bit over half and half.

Thanks for the quick responses guys.
Trav, the problem with buying the Honda premix coolant at $23/gal is that the CRV calls for something like 1.06 gallons and so I'd have to buy two. So I'm looking at $50 vs $17 (w/ tax).
Then there's the inability to increase the ratio to over 50/50. After doing a distilled H2O flush and draining I dare say I'll not be at 50/50.
I live in a cold climate and always run a bit over half and half.

Just for grins, you can get a higher concentration than the premix. This is what you are supposed to use:

http://www.bernardiparts.com/Honda-Anti-...OL999-9020.aspx

For drain and fill then OEM Honda Type II is the safest/easiest to do. For flushing with distilled water then concentrate is needed to get 50% or higher.

As of now, Pep Boy OEM Brand concentrate for $14.xx with code 35FORALL is the lowest price for Honda concentrate coolant, if no Pep Boys around then Peak Global Lifetime concentrate at NAPA for less than $17-18 is the one. I have Peak Global Lifetime in my Honda S2000 for 6-7 months, so far no problem.

OEM Honda Type II concentrate at bernardiparts.com is $29.xx/gal plus shipping, is it worth the extra money ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back