Do Your Homeworks Before Go To America's Tire !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: KitaCam
Re. Javacontour...

Yes...I agree....but your discussing one who KNOWS the limits of one's own knowledge and CARES enough to "look it up"...that's an INFORMED opinion, not one limited to anecdotal experience.

You should visit the thread on kerosene.

Originally Posted By: Traction
I don't think of mileage warranties of anything other that a comparison guide as to how long any given tire might last under ideal conditions. I would just buy a better tire next time is all. There are way too many variables when it comes to tire wear. On a S2000 I wouldn't have any trouble wearing the rears out in 5k miles. I wouldn't run a tire to 2/32nds to even ask for a warranty. Between the prorate and hassle, I just move on to a better tire choice.

Well he's in Southern California so it's easier to run the tires down to 2/32.

And there's no real hassle is there. You go in as normal to get your tires and they measure your tires (which they do anyway), they look your last purchase up in the system (which they find anyway), and they check the manufacturers warranty.

Maybe 5 minutes of extra time and you save $100's.

Originally Posted By: aa1986
Originally Posted By: Traction
I don't think of mileage warranties of anything other that a comparison guide as to how long any given tire might last under ideal conditions. I would just buy a better tire next time is all. There are way too many variables when it comes to tire wear. On a S2000 I wouldn't have any trouble wearing the rears out in 5k miles. I wouldn't run a tire to 2/32nds to even ask for a warranty. Between the prorate and hassle, I just move on to a better tire choice.

Well he's in Southern California so it's easier to run the tires down to 2/32.

And there's no real hassle is there. You go in as normal to get your tires and they measure your tires (which they do anyway), they look your last purchase up in the system (which they find anyway), and they check the manufacturers warranty.

Maybe 5 minutes of extra time and you save $100's.

True. There is no rain from April-May till Nov-Dec, even in raining months we usually have no more than 1 rainy day every 10 days to 3 weeks.

I took the Falken FK452 on the rear down all the way to less than 1/32", virtually no visible tread remaining,the car performance/handling was actually better than full tread on dry surface.

With so many rear tires put on the back of the S2000, do you just burn out all the time or?

Good point.
Where you live, tire performance in weather probably matters a lot less than it does here.
Saturday, we had more than an inch of rain.
Sunday morning, we had still wet roads and 50F.
This morning, we had 10F and mostly dry conditions, with some ice here and there.
Tomorrow morning, we'll have about four inches of dry snow and temperatures around 0F.
If you lived here, you might see the value in better tires.
In a dry and balmy climate, they probably aren't worth the marginal cost.
My apologies and enjoy the weather you have.
I know that we aren't enjoying what we have here.

To a greater degree, the onus is on the consumer as I wouldn't expect the tire guy to know every nuance of every warranty ( changing and some variable ) for each manufacturer. I would agree the end result turned out OK ( and in the vast majority of cases I'm sure they would ) but I would also agree that it seems the tire guy could have initially been more receptive to the idea rather than "knowing it". However, I wasn't there...

Personally, I've found America's Tire / Discount Tire very good and ( as an internet business especially ) I would rather deal with them than Tire Rack which, in my opinion, is not as good as they used to be with average pricing combined with relatively steep freight charges versus Discount Tire Direct which offers many tires with free shipping. My take is that the OPs experience probably could have been replicated anywhere at most tire shops in the U.S. so you can say "Do your Homework Before Going to < Insert Tire Shop Here >" and it'll have the same weight.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Good point.
Where you live, tire performance in weather probably matters a lot less than it does here.
Saturday, we had more than an inch of rain.
Sunday morning, we had still wet roads and 50F.
This morning, we had 10F and mostly dry conditions, with some ice here and there.
Tomorrow morning, we'll have about four inches of dry snow and temperatures around 0F.
If you lived here, you might see the value in better tires.
In a dry and balmy climate, they probably aren't worth the marginal cost.
My apologies and enjoy the weather you have.
I know that we aren't enjoying what we have here.

I had many tire brands on my LS400, S2000 and E430. From Michelin, Continental, Pirelli ... to Hankook, Kumho, Yokohama, Falken, Sumitomo ... The longest lasting tire was Michelin but Performance/Handling wasn't good, the best Performance/Handling was Falken FK452. The worst was Continental DWS, it could not handle medium rain at more than 70 MPH, while the Yokohama YK580 can easily do it at more than 80-85 MPH.

Sine we have fairly good weather almost all year, I choose my tires based on that. I just make sure that the tire can perform well when temperature drops to around 35-45F, which happens few nights a year.

We are good, it was a slight misunderstanding.
cheers3.gif

I was a bit wrong.
Tuesday morning, we had about four inches of nice dry powder, but it was a balmy 10F.
We then had a little snow overnight but about the same ambient Wednesday morning.
This morning, the bottom fell out and I saw -10F on the thermometer.
It's now warmed up to around 12F and will conitnue to warm up until midnight after which we'll see cooling temperatures.
We'll see around 0F in the morning.
California may have many problems, but climate isn't among them.

Did you choose 245/45R17 as they are cheaper than the original 245/40R17 size? My BMW takes the same size in the rear as your S2000 and I wasn't willing to give up the tread width.

Yes I did, I had Falken 612+ 245/45-17 on the rear of S2000. The performance/handling is not as good as with 245/40-17, but it wasn't too bad. I still can go 0.6-0.7G(45-50 MPH) on 270 degree on-ramp without drama with 28-30 PSI instead of 33-34 PSI for 245/40-17. The ride is a little softer and gas mileage is about the same.

Even both have same 245 mm width, the actual tread width of 40 series is wider than 45 series.

Originally Posted By: jsfalls
Originally Posted By: Barkleymut
Amazing that you have to educate people on their job. Personally I would be embarrassed as heck if I was that employee and was shown up so badly.

As someone who works in a tire shop, trust me it almost impossible to know the warranty for every manufacturers different tires, because they are all different, and even different sizes of the same tires can have different manufacturer warranties, and they are always coming out with new models of tires ...

Warranties can also become a nightmare to try to deal with when it comes to the aftermarket setups.

Not knowing is not the problem. The problem is not knowing where to look to find the information you need.

Its pretty sad that a customer has to show an employee using the manufactures own website!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back