Anyone running Amsoil ATL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
Intrigued by this ATF for the Odyssey in the future. Figure I may do at least a pan drain and refill every other OCI (i.e. 15k miles-ish). Wondering about the ATL if heat at the third clutch pack is a remaining issue with Honda ATs.

I'm running it in two vehicles currently.

1) A 2006 Toyota Tundra V8 4wd. ATL was installed when I changed the ATF for the first time, at about 58,000 miles. This vehicle now has 136,000 miles on it.

2) A 2010 Toyota Camry 4 cylinder automatic. ATL was installed about 5,000 miles ago (Earlier this year)

Judging from seat of the pants, both cars shift very smoothly and reliably on ATL. They did before, as well - I cannot tell any difference, operationally, between the OEM fluid (Toyota WS) and Amsoil ATL.

At about 100K miles, I removed the transmission pan, for the first time, from the Tundra. It had run half its life on factory fill ATF, and the other half on ATL. I was astonished how clean it was inside, with only a trace of metalic sediment (presumably from clutches) around the magnets in the pan. I was very impressed.

I've never run it in a Honda. However, I did have a 2002 Odyssey years ago, and can sympathize with the worry on transmission failure. I had my used ATF analysed a couple of times, and I remember it had high aluminum readings. I was nervous about switching fluids on a potentially problematic transmission, given it was under extended warranty, so I just used OEM Honda fluid and changed it frequently. If I had to do it over again, I wouldn't hesitate to use ATL in that automobile.

I would just use DW-1 and change it periodically. ATL is significantly more expensive.

Based on what I've seen, the fluid has little to do with the transmission lifespan anyway. Having the correct fluid in there is more important -- even if it's old.

AMSOIL is too expensive.

If your car has high milage, max life is your friend.
Otherwise Castrol import will do trick for far less.

You can always use Honda DW1 also... Personally not a fan unless your under warranty. It deteriorated my failing ATF much faster than Maxlife.

Last edited:
Currently running Amsoil OTF in my older Accord. Changed from OEM fluid little over a year ago. 15k miles plus on it. No issues whatsoever. Will be changing out next year at 30k with same fluid.Drain and fill.

Last edited:
The tundra in my sig gets amsoil, low-vis version. It sees heavy towing and the transmission has not changed in it's behavior, while I've had to replace every bearing and u-joint in the driveline. I swapped a few quarts of it after 30,000 and it was still see-through cherry red. Truck has 130k on it, 30k of which are with me.

The MDX has had amsoil in it for 5 years. This is the infamous honda 5-speed AT. It has not had any issues with amsoil over 50,000 miles. It has about 130k on it now. Amsoil was run previously in the odyssey it replaced (no issues).

I have also run amsoil in my mothers civic, with the original trans at 330,000. It outlasted the engine, which has developed a notable head leak. my brother has adopted it as a project car and it's awaiting an engine swap. Trans never saw amsoil until about 120,000, but the remainder of its life has been with amsoil, and not frequent d/f. probably a swap at 120k, then 240k-- just whenever she came by and remembered.

I also ran it in my previous 08 jeep GC. it had the stellar WA580 trans that never missed a beat, and there was no difference in shift feel. Unreliable engine electronics ushered the car from my driveway.

I like amsoil products.

I'm swapping over to Amsoil's Fuel Efficient ATF in my Honda Fit this summer from DW-1.
thumbsup2.gif

I've used it before in the past, but have had such good experiences with Maxlife that I can't justify it any more.

For something like your Honda,,I'd say it might be money well spent, if it can prevent a failure.

I bought a 2000 Toyota Sienna in 2006 with about 87,000 miles on it. My mechanic told me the tranny fluid was filthy and had likely never been changed. He said I should expect it to fail sooner rather than later.

I had him flush the transmission and fill it with Amsoil ATF. I also installed a Magnefine inline ATF filter. I just sold that Sienna to a friend of mine with 192,000 miles on it. It has the same Amsoil ATF fluid in it. In the last 115,000 miles, I have replaced the Magnefine filter once or twice. I asked my mechanic to flush the transmission again about 20,000 or 30,000 miles ago. He said the fluid looked really great, so they just drained and replaced a few quarts (using the same Amsoil ATF).

The transmission has always worked perfectly and has never once slipped or done anything that was the least bit off. So I, for one, believe in Amsoil and the Magnefine filters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back