09 sonata tic and screech at startup during winter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had an issue last winter with my Sonata being starved of oil at start up. When I started it up it would make a god aweful screech like metal rubbing against metal for about 10 seconds, I'm pretty sure that it was being starved of oil at start up, but it didn't make much sense to me because I was using Synpower 5W- 20 and it was around 10 degrees F. Any wisdom as to what I could do to help it this comming winter would be appreciated

I doubt it was starved of oil. You're now just concerned? Anyway. Maybe it's your belts /ac compressor/ps pump/harmonic balancer/Water pump/starter gear not retracting.

I wouldn't go that far. Since it happens in the winter, it's most likely a worn/loose belt. Alternator belt is usually the culprit w/start up screeches.

Originally Posted By: Jake54
I had an issue last winter with my Sonata being starved of oil at start up. When I started it up it would make a god aweful screech like metal rubbing against metal for about 10 seconds, I'm pretty sure that it was being starved of oil at start up, but it didn't make much sense to me because I was using Synpower 5W- 20 and it was around 10 degrees F. Any wisdom as to what I could do to help it this comming winter would be appreciated

Fix the belt, tensioner, or accessory that is causing the belt to slip.

OEM filter, belts are tight and have never given me any issues, it's not a belt screech, I'm familiar with those. It's a metal on metal screech. I spoke to the hyundai tech and he said that It just takes a while for the oil to warm up... I've read that it could be a lifter issue

greetings jake and welcome to the forum, i suppose moving to a warmer environment like south texas, florida or arizona is out of the question!

if your 54 yo then you have a few years to retirement!!!

that out of the way
smile.gif

seems i have run across some reading the possibility that the timing chain tensioner may have been an issue for these cars look into that and also what filter are you using?

pretty clear cut case of a belt issue or related idler/tensioner.

Thanks John_Conrad!, I've been looking up posts on the site for a good while thanks to an obsession I acuired with oil.
I need to go to a more experienced mechanic probably, I know a few thankfully that know their stuff. Not 54, I'm still a young buck being 23.
With the car though I've had the belts inspected multiple times by a couple shops, they've never said they need to be changed, the Chain is a good place to look, look at the link I just found
http://repairpal.com/improved-timing-chain-tensioners-available-to-correct-noise-on-startup-431
this sounds exactly like my issue

The timing chain tensioner issue is generally only found on early NF Sonatas with the V6. I've only heard it described as a rattle, not a screech. Do you have the V6 model?

I would doubt that's your issue, but who knows. I'm not there to hear it.

I would also lean towards a belt or belt idler issue. These cars also have issues with the crank pulley failing, which could be related to your issue.

I had a 4-cyl 2007 Sonata, so I know a little about these cars.

On my Sonata, I replaced the bearings in all the belt pulleys at like 80k miles because they were starting to make noise.

yes I've got the 3.3L v6, The only time it happens is when it's well below freezing. Anything above freezing there's no issue at all.

I have a '09 NF too, with I4 engine but I've never had issues that you are describing. I'm at 75K miles. The owners manual recommends inspection of the belt at 60K miles. One of the dealers or parts stores I spoke with at some point recommended a belt replacement at 60K as preventative maintenance -- general recommendation, not based on wear by any means. I decided to do that. I bought an OEM belt. The old belt looked very good after removal. Now, your engine is different but I thought I'd share.

Best of luck to you Jake, keep us posted and keep checking back there are some very knowledgeable folks here that may be able to help.

My only other thoughts after reading your linky was to try a different filter if yours uses the spin on type as opposed to the drop in cartridge, sometimes flukes do occur in production and anti drain back valves or flows could possibly be affected. However yours may be the cartridge type. Let the forum know this is all useful information for them to make recomendations.

There was also a mention in that linky of trying a different weight oil, An oil or additive that helps build pressure may be helpful.

I came here to learn my self and that I have so happy learning.

Last edited:
I used to have this issue on my sonata... Course that was a MY2000, with the 2.4l 4cyl, when I finally took it in, the generator belt was down to looking like a shoe string... Replaced it, with an off the shelf belt, started squealing again within a year.took it to a different shop,they replaced it with another parts store belt. A little over 6 mos later, that belt started squealing. Rinse lather repeat 6 months later. After replacing it twice under warranty ( at his cost) he gave up, and got the OEM belt from dealer.

Quiet operation the rest of the time I owned the car(18 mos or so)

Last edited:
I know on some Hyundai models of this vintage, the power steering pump could have issues on cold starts. Lots of noise. Is started about 2007-09 when Hyundai began using fancy synthetic power steering fluid help this issue.

I read this in My owners manual.

"Grinding noise from the power steering pump may be heard immediately after the engine is started in extremely cold conditions (below -4*F). If the noise stops during warm up, there is no abnormal function in the system. It is due to a power steering fluid characteristic in extremely cold conditions."

Startup screech that sounds like metal on metal - I would say crankshaft damper.

Paint a stripe on it next winter and see what the stripe looks like after a screech event.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back