Wrapping Oil Filters in an Extra Layer of Media

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: BikeWhisperer
A Amsoil test had Honda and Toyota OEM filters at 66.5% and 51% (@20 microns) respectively and yet they make ALL the vehicles that CR predicts will run 200k miles or more.

I love an efficient filter, and use ones that are 99% @20 microns. But it does make me wonder if that efficiency is really necessary. Many synthetic media filters are already double layer media anyway.

I think only Fram Ultra does that dual layer trick, and its a looser looking rat's nest of a media that does a lot of depth filtering. Royal Purple and Purolator synthetic media oil filters are single layer. Napa Plat single layer. Amsoil EA I think is single. Am I wrong?

Originally Posted By: BikeWhisperer
A Amsoil test had Honda and Toyota OEM filters at 66.5% and 51% (@20 microns) respectively and yet they make ALL the vehicles that CR predicts will run 200k miles or more.

I love an efficient filter, and use ones that are 99% @20 microns. But it does make me wonder if that efficiency is really necessary. Many synthetic media filters are already double layer media anyway.

What percent of Toyota's use OEM filters their entire life? I would bet very small fraction.

Those weird Toyota filters usually only come installed from the factory and all the ones you buy at dealers are regular looking ones.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Noobie
Those weird Toyota filters usually only come installed from the factory and all the ones you buy at dealers are regular looking ones.

Does Toyota have a reason for doing that? More capacity for long OCIs on the first metal laden run on FF oil?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ExMachina

Does Toyota have a reason for doing that? More capacity for long OCIs on the first metal laden run on FF oil?

TBH i dont really know why they put these different or "special" oil filters from the factory. My best guess would be for the break in period maybe?
Mine came with one that looked similar to the mashed sweet potato one.

Mine came with one that looked similar to the mashed sweet potato one.

I've got sweet potatoes in the kitchen to stuff into a Purolator. with cinnamon

Originally Posted By: ExMachina
I've got sweet potatoes in the kitchen to stuff into a Purolator. with cinnamon

No thanks, i run a roll of paper towel in a can as a filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back