Greece collaspes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
Originally Posted By: IndyIan
I think it would interesting if Greece just defaulted on their debt and started again with their own currency, staying deficit free.

I really don't think Greeks can be expected to remain debt free. One of the main reasons they joined the Euro was so they could pay lower interest rates on their debt.

It would be an interesting national character building moment, if they just quit borrowing money and worked their economy up from scratch. I'd think in the internet age they could just go 100% transparent in the government books, which would end the corruption problem and every civil servants actions would have to be publically defendable. They are the birthplace of democracy after all, so people could buy into it.
It wouldn't be easy at first, but atleast people would know the value of their work directly helps them or their neighbors.
Signing up the next 3 generations of my family to work hard to pay big foreign financial institutions with the ability to make money out of thin air, doesn't really appeal to me atleast.
Also Greece giving the finger to their lenders would provoke some more caution in their future lending practices too.

As a fellow armchair economist/despot I think Merkl would approve of my plan.

1. Move in the tanks: Obviously the government sovereignty needs to be dissolved for #2 to work.
2. Dissolve all cash transactions and require ATM/cards only: Greece is full of currency/tax collection fraud, by getting rid of paper currency this is now resolved.
3. Absorb the debt amongst all EU states like they should have from the beginning. Would you like one currency amongst 30 some odd countries? You are no longer an independent country, you are now a state. Enjoy sharing the debt of your sisters.
4. Offer jobs across all EU states to the youth. Free transportation/boarding for 6 months.

Critique away. By the way, I play Civ 5 alot, it may have negatively influenced how I would personally treat other countries in real life.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Smokescreen
Wait until Greece takes Russia up on their offer to help. We could see the Ruble in Greece and an alliance taking place.

Who really cares if Russia picks more future debt.

Cannot discount the possibility of either Russia or China considering getting Greece, for such move will put them in a strategic position, both from economic and military perspective.

That being said, however, Greece is in such financial ruins that it would be hard for some countries to come in with a halo on it's head and save them financially.

3rd option, of course, is to let Greece exit the Eurozone. This may cut some of the ties it now has, at the expense of citizens suffering for the foreseeable future.

Either way: it's not going to be pretty.

Originally Posted By: Al
Exactly..you could make a case that the dollar has been more stable than any other medium.including gold.

Yep, I know gold has gone up over the years a lot more than inflation. So has grain. Donkeys, well, I'm not so sure, but since they're now a toy more than a work animal, they've probably gone up in price, too.

Originally Posted By: javacontour
What is in it for China or Russia to take Greece under their wing?

Mediterranean Naval base.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back