345D New Holland Diesel Tractor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've ran this type of equipment for 17 years. Stick with the WIX or the Napa. You don't need a longer filter. I never, ever see a Fram on construction equipment.

Originally Posted By: Oil Changer
I've ran this type of equipment for 17 years. Stick with the WIX or the Napa. You don't need a longer filter. I never, ever see a Fram on construction equipment.

...and I've ran them for longer than that. Means nothing.

With that said, you need to remember that the popularity of an idea has zero correlation to validity. In my neck of the woods, Napa is the only local store (Advance, AutoZone, and O'Reilly being the other majors) that stocks parts (and can find part numbers) for a variety of off-road equipment.

Guess which brand of filters Napa stocks?
Now, guess which brand of filter you're likely to see on equipment?

My conclusion that the Napa Gold was best came from hours of reading on this site. I found it interesting how much time I spent trying to figure out what filter was good. lol
smile.gif

That is a good price, is the quality of this filter way better than their standard filter? From what I have read years ago on this site, their standard filters are not good. Is the XG16 as good or better than the Napa Gold 1452?

Bla, bla, bla... Napa sells Fram too. No one uses Fram.

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam

...and I've ran them for longer than that. Means nothing.

With that said, you need to remember that the popularity of an idea has zero correlation to validity. In my neck of the woods, Napa is the only local store (Advance, AutoZone, and O'Reilly being the other majors) that stocks parts (and can find part numbers) for a variety of off-road equipment.

Guess which brand of filters Napa stocks?
Now, guess which brand of filter you're likely to see on equipment?

One more time, for those who are too blinded by their own biases and beliefs to think straight.

1. NAPA is the only retailer locally who stocks and can look up parts for a variety of off-road equipment.
2. 99% of the individuals who go into a NAPA to get something do so as follows: "Need an oil filter for my 345D New Holland".
3. NAPA Associate looks up the number, and gets a NAPA (Silver, Gold, Platinum) filter.

That's an excellent, well reasoned rebuttal.

Quite obviously, you have a tremendous amount of experience (that's right...17 years), and aren't just some nut sitting behind the keyboard typing drivel.

Hold that thought...Napa sells the line of Fram oil filters?
Please, someone else take it from here.

You do need to pass the torch because your argument is lousy.

1. You say my experience means nothing but make it a point to let me know you've done it longer.

2. You ask the OP why he thinks the Napa is superior and have done nothing since but push the Fram.

3. I said nothing good or bad about the Fram brand other than the fact I never, ever see Fram filters on equipment; a fact you didn't dispute despite your decades-long experience in the industry.

4. Napa is the only one that can look up parts for this type of equipment? Did Napa give you the Fram number you listed? You looked it up yourself. The place I work for doesn't use Napa and that place has no problems looking up filters for all of our oddball equipment.

5. "99% of all..." Guess what? You pulled that number out of your rear. Even if you didn't (which you did), it proves my point that the recommended/specified Napa/WIX filter is more than adequate. No need to be a goofball and put a Fram on a tractor.

One more time, for those who are too blinded by their own biases and beliefs to think straight.

1. NAPA is the only retailer locally who stocks and can look up parts for a variety of off-road equipment.
2. 99% of the individuals who go into a NAPA to get something do so as follows: "Need an oil filter for my 345D New Holland".
3. NAPA Associate looks up the number, and gets a NAPA (Silver, Gold, Platinum) filter.

That's an excellent, well reasoned rebuttal.

Quite obviously, you have a tremendous amount of experience (that's right...17 years), and aren't just some nut sitting behind the keyboard typing drivel.

Hold that thought...Napa sells the line of Fram oil filters?
Please, someone else take it from here.

You are both being morons.

Op, use whatever filter is listed for the application that you can get locally. Filters from the dealer won't be that far out of line with what aftermarket filters will be unless the dealer is a rip off. Don't worry about needing a bigger filter. Tractors are designed to put out rated power for hours on end in dirty dusty conditions.

Morons? I love the irony. You don't think it's moronic to resort to childish name calling? You don't think it's moronic to say use whatever is local, then suggest the dealer? Why the dealer? Isn't it moronic to think that the New Holland brand is any better? Isn't it moronic to not know that New Holland doesn't make filters? And, assuming the OP doesn't live down the street from a New Holland dealer, isn't it moronic to suggest driving by even one auto parts store to go to New Holland to get a branded filter you know is the same as any other and know you are paying more than you have to?

Look in the mirror, pal.

Originally Posted By: jhellwig
You are both being morons.

Op, use whatever filter is listed for the application that you can get locally. Filters from the dealer won't be that far out of line with what aftermarket filters will be unless the dealer is a rip off. Don't worry about needing a bigger filter. Tractors are designed to put out rated power for hours on end in dirty dusty conditions.

You are still being a moron.

I gave the op a suggestion of filters to use for his tractor. I never said to buy oem filters. I just gave it as a cost effective option if the dealer is local.

And fram makes filters for industrial and agricultural application.

Last edited:

See, that's the thing. My intent is different than yours. I'm not here to squabble and argue -- your honestly enjoy it. However, since you want to point out how great your argument is, I have a few suggestions.

1. Stop with the strawman (misrepresenting the position of everyone who has replied).
2. Understand the premise of your position is false cause (correlation/causation).
3. Basing statements on ancedotal experience (what you've observed vs. debating filter construction/cost).
4. Special pleading with each new post (moving the goalposts).
5. Claiming the burden of proof is on someone else.
...and on, and on, and on.

Again, I'm not here to argue. You've just made so many errors in reasoning that it needs to be pointed out for your future benefit.

Valk asked what the "best filter" was for his application, and I was merely guiding him in the right direction. To figuratively spell it out a little more clearly though:

Here's an exploded diagram of the Wix/Napa Gold:
GoldNAPAOil-Exploded-View.jpeg

Here's an exploded diagram of the Napa Platinum (Fram Ultra is very similar):
PlatinumNAPAOil-Exploded-View.jpeg

I don't care that it's a Fram -- makes no difference. The Ultra is just a very well constructed filter that's available for around $7.

Good luck, Valk.

Again: Bla, bla, bla... The tractor will outlive it's usefulness using the $5 Napa. End of story. If you've been around equipment as long as you claim, this should be self-evident.

See, that's the thing. My intent is different than yours. I'm not here to squabble and argue -- your honestly enjoy it. However, since you want to point out how great your argument is, I have a few suggestions.

1. Stop with the strawman (misrepresenting the position of everyone who has replied).
2. Understand the premise of your position is false cause (correlation/causation).
3. Basing statements on ancedotal experience (what you've observed vs. debating filter construction/cost).
4. Special pleading with each new post (moving the goalposts).
5. Claiming the burden of proof is on someone else.
...and on, and on, and on.

Again, I'm not here to argue. You've just made so many errors in reasoning that it needs to be pointed out for your future benefit.

Valk asked what the "best filter" was for his application, and I was merely guiding him in the right direction. To figuratively spell it out a little more clearly though:

Here's an exploded diagram of the Wix/Napa Gold:
GoldNAPAOil-Exploded-View.jpeg

Here's an exploded diagram of the Napa Platinum (Fram Ultra is very similar):
PlatinumNAPAOil-Exploded-View.jpeg

I don't care that it's a Fram -- makes no difference. The Ultra is just a very well constructed filter that's available for around $7.

Good luck, Valk.

This is interesting, the Napa Gold filter I looked at had a black Nitrile Anti-drain back valve and not the tan/red color silicone valve? Did Napa start to cut corners on this part? I also looked at the Bosch filters at Walmart and the Anti-drainback valve on these looked tan/red like silicone.

No, several NAPA Gold and Wix filters do have nitrile ADBVs. It's not common, but it does exist. My G37's 51358 filters have the nitrile ADBV, too. Why? Your guess is as good as mine.

Whoa nelly, I did not mean to walk into a bar fight by looking at this thread.

*Puts on helmet*

---

I just wanted to mention that the Napa 1452/Wix 51452 is the same filter as the Napa 1515/Wix 51515, except that the 1452/51452 has a higher burst pressure rating.

Take a look:

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/WIX0/51452.oap

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/WIX0/51515.oap

This brings me to a few questions:

What is the burst rating on the OEM filter?

Why was the Fram that was mentioned the XG16 instead of the XG8A?

Is the OEM filter the size of the XG16 or the XG8A?

Presupposing the size of the Napa 1452 is the exact OEM cross reference size, then the XG8A should be the Fram recommendation.

And if that is the case, barring that the burst pressure of the Wix 51515 is good enough, then that means you can look to the plethora of cross references of the Motorcraft FL1A. I'm sure you know there have been many many threads here about FL1A equivalents.

Now, if the burst pressure is too low for those filters, and you really do need the higher rating of the Napa 1452, then disregard my thoughts there.

Lastly, I thought you may like to know, just in case you do have room for it, that there are larger filters with the same threads and gasket size. However if you need the higher burst pressure, I don't think these will work.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/WIX0/51773.oap

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx/Oil-Filter-Gold-/_/R-FIL1714_0273082430

Hope that at least something I've said here can help!

~ Triton

Edit:

P.S. My personal recommendation would be to use any of the filters that use synthetic media if you can. If not, due to the burst pressure ratings, use the 1452. But if you can, some filters with synthetic media are the Napa 41515/Wix 51515 XP, the Fram XG8A, the Royal Purple 30-8A, and the Purolator PSL30001.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Valk1500
From what I have found the Napa Gold 1452 is the best filter for this little diesel tractor. Is the WIX 51452,..... better?......

The Wix 51452 would be the same as the NG 1452.

As for the use of a nitrile adbv on the 1452, I note that the vast majority applications listed by Wix are for diesel engines/tractor use. From my observation nitrile adbvs seem to be the standard for this purpose. Fleetguard (Cummins Filtration) as an example, also used for diesel applications and well respected filters all use nitrile adbvs. Baldwin also uses nitrile adbvs. So I wouldn't be concerned about it or feel as though I was being shorted.

However with very rare exception for 'pc (passenger car)' applications, Wix/Napa Gold use silcone adbvs.

My G's filter crosses to a lot of power sports and agricultural stuff, so maybe it's no surprise that it still uses the nitrile, but I wish it woudln't.
wink.gif
The Wix for my buddy's John Deere tractor also uses nitrile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back