Recommend me a good European oil for my Honda

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does Elf still make oil by themselves?
They were doing some nice 5w50 and 10w50, now gone, and somewhat rebadge Total stuff
smirk.gif

Sorry for ot.

Last edited:
Yes I understand what you're saying, certainly ACEA isn't as important in NA as it is in Europe.

Olas; Elf is good quality lubricant manufacturer, but these days is made by TOTAL and in all fairness is in the same range as other oils. Best buy full SAPS oil still remains Helix Ultra, it's very well priced oil with full manufacturers approvals.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: Olas
The best European oils come from Elf, Fuchs and Millers.

The "best"? How so?
wink.gif

I read it on the Internet so it must be true! That, and I don't like Comma.

And I forgot to add lubromoly to the 'best list'

ATB
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Olas
The best European oils come from Elf, Fuchs and Millers.

Elf is in the same row as others (chirisiri explained...)

Fuchs...could be good....Millers...never heard of...

I will say that best oil producers are those wich have their own oil well (Shell, Agip, BP, Esso/Mobil1)

And not boutique producers who are buying oil base elswhere and rebadge that oil as their own (Castrol, Fuchs, Millers....)

Originally Posted By: Kamele0N

[...]

I will say that best oil producers are those wich have their own oil well (Shell, Agip, BP, Esso/Mobil1)

And not boutique producers who are buying oil base elswhere and rebadge that oil as their own (Castrol, Fuchs, Millers....)

Castrol is owned by BP, so ...

Last edited:

Considering that BP owns Castrol, I don't see how you can call it boutique, but I have yet to read a single post when you wrote something accurate.

Kamele0N,

Speaking about the subject touched in your post I think that it all depends.

Yes, big companies like BP, Shell, etc are extracting the mineral oil from the planet and perhaps they are capable of choosing from many different flavors. On the other hand, if they extract a lot they need to sell it, so they might be only interested in volume of sells rather than the quality of base stocks.

Small companies may choose from different base stocks selecting the best performance/price ratio and if they are in premium segment they can choose the best stocks.

A typical example, is for example Gazprom from Russia. Have you heard about any good oils made by Gazprom which are as good as say Liqui Moly? They are doing some oils, but those are inferior to Liqui Moly (LM) and that's because LM can choose better stocks and do a better chemo.

The bottom line is that one needs to see reviews of oils and judge by performance results and not by how much company is pumping the oil out of the planet.

The OEM Honda oil manufactured in Europe recommended/approved for the vehicle in question by Honda.

Not sure if its OEM Honda oil why the Europe qualification needs to come into the equation.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Considering that BP owns Castrol, I don't see how you can call it boutique, but I have yet to read a single post when you wrote something accurate.

Ok missed that one with castrol...[censored]...

I just wanted to say....how can be Millers the best engine oil if it is buying its oil base from "big players"???

And many people are tripping on Castrol...but in fact...it is just overpriced "artificial" brand....because in their higher price you are paying for their constant advertising on the market..

Emmm...again for QuattroPete...

Castrol is not artificial brand because they are advertising...

From my point of view they are the same as MotorUP...QMI...Slick50...

If there will not be constant advertising in media...Castrol that. Castrol this...they will not exist...

Shell dont advertise his products so much...but we all know that is decent company

I suppose it depends upon one's locale. Castrol does have a fair bit of service fill business in North America. In this city in particular, there is a lot of Castrol use in independent shops.

Marketing is part of it, but not "advertising," per se. Wakefield aggressively markets its products to retailers and shops in this country. At least half of the independent shops I can think of here have a big Castrol sign on the building exterior. If you want to sell Castrol products here or use them in your shop, Wakefield will make darned sure you have that opportunity.

If there will not be constant advertising in media...Castrol that. Castrol this...they will not exist...

Shell dont advertise his products so much...but we all know that is decent company

Here in the US, all the major brands advertise heavily: XOM (Mobil1), Shell (Pennzoil), as well as BP (Castrol). Major brands are the only ones that actually have deep pockets to afford heavy advertising.

So, on one hand you're criticizing small oil outfits for being wannabes, and on the other hand you're criticizing the majors for spending money on advertising. So, what is left?

weasley,

Originally Posted By: weasley

So, using older ACEA specs is forbidden (save for the 1 year's grace). Also, using the year suffix is forbidden (since it is redundant, because all oils should meet the current, or at worst the previous, version).

If you find a supplier flouting these rules, perhaps it gives some insight into their compliance with anything else they have claimed? Just a thought.

I bumped into this tech sheet of Mofin 5W-30 Longlife III oil: http://www.mofin-oil.com/produkt/mofin-m...glife-5W-30.pdf

This link is taken from page http://www.mofin-oil.com/produkt/mofin-motorenoel-sae-5w-30.html and it features the following items:

date: 20.10.2014
specs: ACEA A3/B4-04

As you can see, this is violating most of the rules you described. The Mofin oils are made in Germany and to be honest I think I also saw Liqui Moly (also from Germany) having similar specs (A4-04/B4-04), etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back