Oil / Filter combo for upcoming oil changes.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Both the Uplander and Park Avenue are due for an oil/filter change. I use the filters for 2-3 OCI's so Fram Ultras are going on both. The Uplander is down a quart at 5000 miles and is around 15% on the OLM and the Park Avenue's use falls into the doubly severe driving category (if there is such a thing) so its due as well. Walmart had a good deal on the Castrol GTX High Mileage Synthetic Blend so I picked up a 5 quart jug of the 5w30 and 10w30. I am giving GTX another try, it always turned black in my old Accord after 1000 miles or less, and yes I know oil color is not indicative of oil life. Just wanted to share!
20150703_2143351_zpswg19ejs1.jpg

Castrol is a really good product.. How much were the containers?? That Ford Ranger has a lot of miles on it obviously. Original motor right??
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: bbhero
Castrol is a really good product.. How much were the containers?? That Ford Ranger has a lot of miles on it obviously. Original motor right??
smile.gif

They were around $16 per jug. Most of the HM SB's were near the $20 range. The Ranger has had a rebuild somewhere along the line, less than 100K ago I believe. It was given to my younger brother at no charge to him! It was meticulously maintained by the PO since 1992.

Fram Ultra on a 91 Buick is huge overkill IMO. Unless you're going to run it two OCIs. $16 is a good price on the oil.

Back in my engine building/racing days I would use Castrol oil a lot. I remember it being a thicker oil then all of the other brands of oils.
I do like the fact that you are using the ONLY oil filter that FRAM makes that is better than all other brands of oil filters made, IMO. But, IMO only, I disagree with you using the same FU over and over for OCI's, instead of using a new FU for each OCI. I am sure the BITOG members that like what you are doing are waiting with their flamethrowers to burn me to a crisp!
grin.gif

2crp0ea.jpg

Sounds like a good plan. I used to use GTX HM all the time, now I'm using up my stash on everything with whatever is available. My mom's Buick 3.4L has GTX SynBlend and my grandmother's Trailblazer has regular GTX. Both are happy, Trailblazer is running a Fram Ultra and it's oil change next month I'll reuse the oil filter as well, and has only done about 4,000 miles this past year.

That is a good funny cartoon ! ! I have used my Fram Ultra for extra oil changes. I really think its fine with such a good oil filter like this one or other comparable filters. RPs, Amsoil come to mind.
But, hey.. To each their own.
smile.gif
nothing to get wund around a axle over
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
Back in my engine building/racing days I would use Castrol oil a lot. I remember it being a thicker oil then all of the other brands of oils.
I do like the fact that you are using the ONLY oil filter that FRAM makes that is better than all other brands of oil filters made, IMO. But, IMO only, I disagree with you using the same FU over and over for OCI's, instead of using a new FU for each OCI. I am sure the BITOG members that like what you are doing are waiting with their flamethrowers to burn me to a crisp!
grin.gif

2crp0ea.jpg

Hey, its your choice to change the filter every OCI...and thats perfectly fine! I just know that the Fram Ultra is good for up to 15K / 1 year and that is backed by Fram themselves. So Ill use the Ultra on the Buick for at least 3 oil changes. I use the Fram Ultra on the Uplander for up to 2 oil changes, because if I were to use if for 3 I would most likely go over the 15K max recommendation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back