Mos2 After break-in?

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those who use mos2, do you feel its better to use it early on, during break-in or later after its broken in? Or is it better only once there is wear on the engine say after 100k miles?

The engine will break in with moly just as good as with out.If that is what you are asking.

Agreed with at 10k miles.

From what I read and saw, is that Honda Genuine motor oil has a big dose of it, Redline has high levels of moly.

I was just curious if it interfered with break-in and whether it was of more benefit on a worn engine than a new one with out wear.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
I was just curious if it interfered with break-in and whether it was of more benefit on a worn engine than a new one with out wear.

I think it is definitely more helpful in old worn engine. I wouldn't even use it in anything that has a warranty, if something goes wrong it can easily be checked that additives were used as Mos2 makes a visible layer.

I bought my 12 Hyundai Accent in October 13' with 8900 miles. Both oil changes were QS Syn Blend and at 9100 I swapped out to PP 5w20 with 100ml of LM Mos2 and my mileage has been solid between 35-40+mpg since. Car currently has 142012 mi and uses almost no oil thanks to PP & PU with MOS and MoS2. I use half can of each per oci with Napa ProSelect oil filter.

For those who use mos2, do you feel its better to use it early on, during break-in or later after its broken in? Or is it better only once there is wear on the engine say after 100k miles?

Technically it depends on the reason you're adding it to begin with.

You could add it towards the latter end of an OCI to give a boost to the additives that are close to depletion, as to possibly protect better during the last few thousand miles or so...

Or,

You could add it in the beginning.

Now, many would argue "why not just buy an oil with a higher moly amount from the beginning?" - to which I would say: What if you had already purchased some new oil for an oil change, one that has little to no moly, and then realized your engine was starting to tick as you neared the end of the previous OCI? Say, you bought Valvoline, and didn't want to go buy something else... Throw in some Mos2 at the oil change, and there you have it.

Sure, doing so could mess with the stock add-pack, and thus make some of the other additives less effective, but the added Mos2 means you're relying more on the Mos2's moly to quiet the tick. For just one OCI, it wouldn't be the end of the world. Once that OCI is over, when you buy new oil, just get one already formulated with more moly or more ZDDP, whatever you prefer to quiet your tick (if it isn't something mechanically wrong, maybe just something simple like piston slap, etc.)...

I've used Mos2 before right as I poured new oil in. For that exact reason above.

~ Triton

Tried it in both my high mileage vehicles and didn't notice any positive changes. Read more glowing BITOG reports, so I tried it again. Again, no discernible difference; NVH, MPG, [censored] - no changes.

Kudos to those who it works for. If you plan on running it, try and get a baseline and see if it actually does anything noticeable besides drain your wallet. I'm open to fuel and oil adds, just am not a lucky one to get any benefits to my vehicles.

MOS2 should make break-in happen slower, lowering friction through filling the micro-valleys better. See http://www.transportation.anl.gov/pdfs/MM/857.PDF
I'd say it would be good any time. During break-in, when the micro surfaces are rougher, the solid particles probably do more actually.

We're currently experimenting with it hoping to see if it slows a minor oil leak. I read on the site it helped a few members slow/stop oil leaks. It should be interesting to see if it helps in our test mule.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back