Reliability of Mazdas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

Im looking to get new car its between a impreza and mazda3.
I know the mazda will be more fun, but is it as reliable?

Thanks

Mazda 3 hatchback looks great. If I had to buy a new car today I'm 99% sure it would be my first choice.

Mazda has Honda / Toyota reliability.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Mazda 3 hatchback looks great. If I had to buy a new car today I'm 99% sure it would be my first choice.

Mazda has Honda / Toyota reliability.

I agree, the mazda 3 hatchbatch is great in all categories.

Thanks all, going to move the car on top of my list.

Last edited:
I think most cars are pretty well made nowadays, but I wouldn't put Mazda in Toyota or Honda's class. And that's not knocking Mazda, but Toyota and Honda are the benchmark of the industry in terms of reliability.

Last edited:
My #2 son's GF had a early 3. It was beat to death! Stuff missing from the dash, dents everywhere. Engine was running on 3 cylinders, had a burned exhaust valve, 3 sparkplugs were loose, it was here daily driver! Have no idea how long it was in that condition. Still ran fine. Her mother still drives an ancient 626 with over 300k on it.

Some years ago when I had a Mazda 626 the transmission went up at 52,000 miles..........2000 miles over the warranty. Mazda refused to offer anything on repair, not even parts. That soured me on Mazda forever.

Good, well built cars and mechanically sound but rust can be an issue especially on the rear quarters behind the doors in the rust belt.
They certainly look better than Toyota and IMO are mechanically just as good as Honda or Toyota which have dropped a lot over the last few years.

Originally Posted By: tc1446
Some years ago when I had a Mazda 626 the transmission went up at 52,000 miles..........2000 miles over the warranty. Mazda refused to offer anything on repair, not even parts. That soured me on Mazda forever.

Was it the 1994 vintage? My father-in-law had one. What a pile of garbage.

I owned a 1989 MX-6 and a 2000 Protege with zero issues on either of those.

My brother just got a new 2015 CX-5 which looks awesome and has good reliability history.

had a 1991 protege lx dohc. car was amazing! no issues just maintenece, original clutch lasted 242,000 miles!!! sold the car with 350,000 miles and the new owner drove it for a few years then it got totalled

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tc1446

That's a much, much different era Mazda than today.

Someone once commented on here "It was nice of Ford to mark all the parts that will fail on my car" in reference to Ford putting many of their parts in Mazda vehicles.

They have OK reliability, not great. Probably better than Nissan, but not better than the other Asian manufacturers.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Good, well built cars and mechanically sound but rust can be an issue especially on the rear quarters behind the doors in the rust belt.
They certainly look better than Toyota and IMO are mechanically just as good as Honda or Toyota which have dropped a lot over the last few years.

+1

Originally Posted By: horse123
Someone once commented on here "It was nice of Ford to mark all the parts that will fail on my car" in reference to Ford putting many of their parts in Mazda vehicles.

They have OK reliability, not great. Probably better than Nissan, but not better than the other Asian manufacturers.

I LOVE to see people STILL drinking the KoolAid on this...
'Cause, You know.. Ford components/powertrains are junk...Just ask
Land Rover, Sterling, Jaguar, Volvo, MAZDA... Probably more FORD components used on these makes in the last 10-15 years than any other manufacturer shares...!! Wake up !!
Other people on this forum ( not me ) have commented that Mazda of today is very different - let alone cars of TODAY in general... (less than 10 years old let's say...!!

So sick of this Moronic Consumer Reports mentality...!!

YES people.. YOUR overly simplistic HONDA and TOYOTA of forever up to the mid 90's WAS AMAZING..
BUT times are different now.. Look Around People..!! Vehicles are more similar and in some respects essentially THE SAME more than ever before !!

Rant over !!

BurrWinder

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BurrWinder

Land Rover, Sterling, Jaguar, Volvo

To be fair the brands you mention above are not exactly Lexus when it comes to long-term reliability. My mechanic both hates and loves when the Land Rovers come in.....

In this neck of the woods, newer Mazdas are very popular. They offer good value and are reliable. I know lots of folks who own Mazda 3s and have never heard a bad thing about them. I trust you will feel the same.

Originally Posted By: BurrWinder

So sick of this Moronic Consumer Reports mentality...!!
BurrWinder

I didn't know people still read Consumer Reports.

I also agree.. BUT.. most of the aforementioned brands' issues are not ones in regard to models that are FAIRLY NEW. Better quality can be found all around - like the (general) newer vehicle population !
Just because a vehicle isn't designed or built or supported by the "Land of the Rising Sun" does not mean it is superior to everything else !! That is the stigma I am annoyed by !! Same goes for European brands.. I realize people "learn" things.. over time that give them the impression of quality.. But those "facts" are often based on old information - and not based on FACTS found in the field. This leads to long lead times for people to CHANGE THEIR MINDS on things such as this. It seems we see examples of this on this forum all the time..

AAhh.. human nature !!

BurrWinder

The Mazda G4A-EL / Ford 4EAT-G automatic transaxle used from 87-92 in Probes, MX-6's and 626's were ca-ca. This is ancient history. As others have said, rust is an issue. We are the original owners of a 2001 Protege ES with 260,000 miles. It has literally had zero problems. Only normal wear parts and those parts wore like rocks, less the original tires. We just got it back from the body shop for rust fix and repaint and it once again looks fantastic. We plan on keeping it for another 14 years and 260,000 miles. As far as newer Mazdas go, the SkyActiv engines are very good. I would buy another one (any model) in a heartbeat. Its a shame they post-poned the release of the US diesel engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back