Honda has a new CEO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently test drove numerous cars in the Civic segment (Corolla, 3, Focus, Elantra). The Civic wasn't the best in all categories by any stretch, but id did have the best blend of comfort, performance, solid build, quietness, back seat and trunk space, and reliability track record, and was also nearly the least expensive in comparable trim forms.

In terms of build materials, its worlds ahead of the 05 Civic I have that is nearing 300k (although that is as a VP, lower trim). Averaging 42 mpg so far with 5 speed stick.

I've been hearing ever since I started buying cars 30 years ago that "Honda isn't what it used to be". I don't know, they've had isolated issues, but the Civic is still a darn good little car and a great value. Not as much an enthusiasts' car, perhaps, but that's not what I'm interested in. The 3 beats it there, but Mazda rust issues scare me away and uncomfortable seats and noisy.

Originally Posted By: Shark
The 94-97 accords are some of the best cars ever made IMO. Honda took a big quality dip when they starting building in the U.S. I still think they are very good vehicles. For what it is worth a engineer friend of mine was hired by Honda a few years ago. He loves it there and is paid well. He works very long hours. My impression is that there is not much disarray there. I have been a shareholder a few times and buy up long call options whenever the stock gets in the high $20 range.

Many of those 94-97 Accords were built in the USA.

Also, making a Honda in Japan isn't a sure bet on quality. The first gen CRV is an example.

Honda needs to hire some designers. That new Pilot looks like a mini-van. What guy wants to drive something that looks like a mini-van?

I'm going to make a prediction here -The new Pilot will have a "freshening" within 24 months like when the new Civic came out.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Chris B.
Originally Posted By: GiveMeAVowel
He as a LOT of work to do, Honda's reputation has been really badly damaged by a number of things first being the
lack of great products, everyone remembers the best Honda days back in the 80s-90s. Those days seem long gone of well engineered, simple, durable, and high quality, at reasonable prices and they all had a special feel that at that time nobody else had....
The CRX, Prelude, Accord, Civic at that time were really outstanding products, to think that the Civic, and Accord had wishbone suspensions and independent rear suspensions and were reasonably priced was really amazing. I was around and worked at Honda stores during their hey day, and the cars really were that good.

What?!?!?! Honda is still the best manufacturer in terms of overall quality and reliability. Look at a new Accord vs any other 4 door family sedan and the Accord beats them in ever category. The Civic vs Corolla......the Civic is far away the better car.

Have you driven a brand new Fusion as a competitor to the Accord? Yep=the Accord is another "blandmobile".

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CKN
He as a LOT of work to do, Honda's reputation has been really badly damaged by a number of things first being the
lack of great products, everyone remembers the best Honda days back in the 80s-90s. Those days seem long gone of well engineered, simple, durable, and high quality, at reasonable prices and they all had a special feel that at that time nobody else had....
The CRX, Prelude, Accord, Civic at that time were really outstanding products, to think that the Civic, and Accord had wishbone suspensions and independent rear suspensions and were reasonably priced was really amazing. I was around and worked at Honda stores during their hey day, and the cars really were that good.

What?!?!?! Honda is still the best manufacturer in terms of overall quality and reliability. Look at a new Accord vs any other 4 door family sedan and the Accord beats them in ever category. The Civic vs Corolla......the Civic is far away the better car.

Have you driven a brand new Fusion as a competitor to the Accord? Yep=the Accord is another "blandmobile".

I have and the Accord is much nicer. The Fusion is very nice but the Accord has it beat and you know the Accord will out last the Fusion by a lot of miles. Which one will still be solid and trouble fee at 200,000+ miles? I'll give you hint: it doesn't start with an F.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CKN

I have and the Accord is much nicer. The Fusion is very nice but the Accord has it beat and you know the Accord will out last the Fusion by a lot of miles. Which one will still be solid and trouble fee at 200,000+ miles? I'll give you hint: it doesn't start with an F.

I assume we are intentionally omitting the generation of Accords where the V6 version ate transmissions like the Odyssey?

A Crown Vic will outlast both of them though
wink.gif

Accord and other Honda vehicles in early '2000 (around 2000-2005) had AT problems, especially the AT with V6 engines. Since 2006 until now their AT problems was no more than industry average. But they had and have very few problems with manual transmission.

About 10 or more years ago there was no Domestic mid-size family sedan as good in every way as Accord and Camry, but Ford and GM and even Chrysler now all have very good cars, almost as good as Japanese brand.

A resale value of an Accord is still higher than a Fusion of similar MSRP and condition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back