A/C compressor not cycling....

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, over the past couple of days I have noticed that the A/C compressor in my Accord isn't cycling, its just staying on as long as the A/C is switched on. The outside temp has increased to the 90's over the past week or so, not sure if this is a factor. The compressor usually cycles on for 14 seconds, off for 4...but its just been staying on for as long as I have the A/C button switched on. Is this normal behavior?

Compressor cycling is controlled by evaporator temperature, assuming all other parts of the system are working properly. If it's abnormally hot and the evaporator never gets cold enough to trip the compressor cut-out it will just keep running.

If you feel like putting in some effort, make sure your condenser is clean. I'm not intimately familiar with the A/C system on your Accord, but 14/4 on/off seems like it's running a lot (unless you like having your fan turned up pretty high). Perhaps it's getting low on charge?

Originally Posted By: gregk24
Any harm in letting it run like it is?

Good question, my 1995 Accord cycles on for 30 seconds and then off for about 10 seconds during temps over 85F. It seems like a lot more than it should really, I also remember that some years ago (3 or 4) it used to stay on for at least a minute or more and then cycle off for about 20 seconds with the same 85F ambient temps. I did find out that my model year actually has a sight glass on the receiver drier! I thought they stopped using them after they started using R134a.
My car has 139k and I don't believe the AC system has been touched in 15 years or so.

Last edited:
Isn't this the car with the compressor that is leaking refrigerant? Have you replaced it or checked the charge with a proper set of manifold gauges?

At 90* and set to fresh air, at higher fan speeds it probably won't cycle... If it cycles on recirculate and a low blower setting, likely there isn't anything wrong, at least not enough to worry about... If it never cycles then sooner or later the system will freeze... Continual cycling is a good indicator the evaporator has restricted air flow or low on charge...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back