Discount Tire Requires TPMS rebuild kit???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, Honda figured out how to comply with the law using wheel speed, along with VW, Audi, Mazda, and the rest should. It should have been that simple in the first place!!!

Here's may take on TPMS's.

The law is working well and having the effect it was supposed to have. NHTSA will not be recommending it be repealed anytime soon. If anything, NHTSA will recommend requiring direct measurements rather than rolling diameter, as rolling diameter will not warn the driver if ALL the tires lose air evenly. I expect this recommendation to meet with a lot of resistance and its likelihood of passing slim.

I also expect TPMS systems to get better over time - meaning more reliable and requiring less maintenance. Maybe 10 years in the future and we'll forget there ever was a problem (except for those folks who complain about everything).

And lastly, I expect that there will be a small redesign to make it easier to rebuild a TPMS. I'm expecting it will be very similar to a rubber valve, so that it would be replaced just like rubber valves are now.

The new generation of in-direct tpms does fully comply with the law, and unlike the early version, it can detect all 4 tires low. Not having direct sensors might not be as accurate, but over time is much safer than all the non functioning, or missing sensor we have on the road now. And cheaper too.http://www.autofieldguide.com/articles/audi-rolls-with-indirect-tpms

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CapriRacer

The law is working well and having the effect it was supposed to have. NHTSA will not be recommending it be repealed anytime soon. If anything, NHTSA will recommend requiring direct measurements rather than rolling diameter, as rolling diameter will not warn the driver if ALL the tires lose air evenly. I expect this recommendation to meet with a lot of resistance and its likelihood of passing slim.

I also expect TPMS systems to get better over time - meaning more reliable and requiring less maintenance. Maybe 10 years in the future and we'll forget there ever was a problem (except for those folks who complain about everything).

And lastly, I expect that there will be a small redesign to make it easier to rebuild a TPMS. I'm expecting it will be very similar to a rubber valve, so that it would be replaced just like rubber valves are now.

Ford has had the "band" style sensors that seem like a good idea really.

For those who don't know what it is:
It is a band that hugs the rim with a sensor on it while the valve stem is a regular ole rubber cheapie that can be easily replaced.

Originally Posted By: CapriRacer

I agree with this. I've never had a problem with TPMS.

Originally Posted By: ccap41
Ford has had the "band" style sensors that seem like a good idea really.

For those who don't know what it is:
It is a band that hugs the rim with a sensor on it while the valve stem is a regular ole rubber cheapie that can be easily replaced.

To be honest, those were absolutely terrible. More of those get broken than the new ones that mount to the valve stem. Plus as a dealer we had to keep bands for each wheel diameter in stock adding unnecessary inventory.

The new ones, 9L3Z-1A189-A are a lot easier to work with and the service kit is inexpensive.

Originally Posted By: Traction
The new generation of in-direct tpms does fully comply with the law, and unlike the early version, it can detect all 4 tires low. Not having direct sensors might not be as accurate, but over time is much safer than all the non functioning, or missing sensor we have on the road now. And cheaper too.http://www.autofieldguide.com/articles/audi-rolls-with-indirect-tpms
There is absolutely nothing new or novel about what Audi has done here. I am not sure exactly what component or algorithm are they claiming to be new here. Any engineer off the street can write the software to find out which tire speed is off from the expected.

I am still wondering which manufacturer jumped in with the head first to implement direct TPMS system. They must have had deep pockets and few law makers residing inside those pockets!

Heck, given how cheap a typical car manufacturer is (e.g. even when the system knows which tire is low, it still will not let the user know which specific tire is low because it does not want to implement four led on the dash!) there has to be some conspiracy for the direct TMPS to get established as de facto standard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back