Should I replace my engine too along with trans

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would put it out to pasture myself. 250k miles its amortized itself at least once. get another one and run that up to 250k.

Last edited:
Ugh.. Plus you're going to have 10yr/old, ~250Kmi exhaust components to get out of the way, and hopefully be in good enough shape to bolt back up.

Originally Posted By: 7055
Originally Posted By: JTK
If you drove it with the trans hunting, slamming and banging for 50,000mi, that's incredible to me!

I know in my area with mandatory yearly inspections, where you can't have a check engine light on, I wouldn't put that amount of resources into this car with this kind of mileage.

It's really sad, but going forward, we're going to see more and more vehicles hit the junk pile because of costly transmission issues.

Yea, it's so bad, it will screech the tires just driving through a parking lot. Entering the highway is like playing roulette. One time I had to put the flashers on and coast down the highway till it decided to engage a gear again.

Try a bottle of Lucas trans fix. Many people have very good luck myself included.
Junkyard stuff is always a big risk. Low miles doesn't mean it works. Junkyard money back guarantees normally do not cover labor.

Last edited:

Also, can anybody confirm that the 6 speed auto transmission from an '07 Montego should work without issues in an '06 Five-Hundred with 6 speed auto?

if it is an '07 Montego, make sure it's the Asin 6 speed, and not the much more common ZF CVT. if it is the Asin 6speed, and it is an 07 Montego, then yes, it will bolt right up. it's the identical setup to your car.

The engine/trans switch was in the 2008MY(along with the name changes back to Taurus/Sable). went from the Duratec 3.0 (Mondeo engine),and either the Asin 6 speed, or the ZF CVT; to the 3.5l Cyclone, and the 6F50 (6 speed auto co-developed with GM)

which btw should also just bolt up(IIRC), just make sure to get the computers from the donor car.

yeah, to swap both, you'd basically just have to undo the front struts, then disconnect the subframe (and yes wires/fuel/brakes/exhaust, etc) and drop the whole unit. (in fact, reversing the way they went in at the factory)

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
So for $2650 you are getting a 69k 07 Ford 500? Or for a $1200 you get on the road again.
I guess if you can do struts and brakes and the rest, it might be tempting just to keep the thing going for a long time. Find a good newer drivers seat at the wrecker and carry on, given no rust issues on your car I am assuming.

No rust issues, plus its got leather, dual climate control, moonroof, but the car isn't perfect. I also noticed that the rear door panels fill with water in the rain. Must be a Ford issue.

I'm going to have to fix an electrical issue as well, replace a wheel bearing and tie-rod bushing. I think that's it though.

Have you checked the drain holes at the bottoms of the doors? They can become clogged.

See how much the whole cradle is from the yard. If those struts are OK, I'd just drop the cradle and swap in the whole shabang. You might be able to cut labor enough to make it worthwhile, if it lops 4hr labor but only adds $150

Wait.

So the engine/tranny combo is $550 extra on part and $925 extra on labor?

That's like $1475 extra for an engine replacement.

I'd skip it.

A nine year old common vehicle with 249k miles, I do not think the job is worth it. 500's do not hold value well and has too many miles on it.

Originally Posted By: cb_13
Originally Posted By: IndyIan
So for $2650 you are getting a 69k 07 Ford 500? Or for a $1200 you get on the road again.
I guess if you can do struts and brakes and the rest, it might be tempting just to keep the thing going for a long time. Find a good newer drivers seat at the wrecker and carry on, given no rust issues on your car I am assuming.

No rust issues, plus its got leather, dual climate control, moonroof, but the car isn't perfect. I also noticed that the rear door panels fill with water in the rain. Must be a Ford issue.

I'm going to have to fix an electrical issue as well, replace a wheel bearing and tie-rod bushing. I think that's it though.

Have you checked the drain holes at the bottoms of the doors? They can become clogged.

I haven't checked that, thanks. Where are they at exactly?

Well, it turns out the transmission had water in it and the junk yard said not to risk it as it could be bad. I guess it's a no-go then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back