Household uses for grease

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright, every tube or tub of grease I have says that it's good for "auto, farm, and home use" or something to that effect. What are your "home" uses? I'll start.

CRC white lithium grease in all the padlocks on my property. I put the tube in the lock where the shank would go and I push grease in until it comes out of the lock cylinder. I do this once a year and it keeps my locks working smoothly 100% of the time.

CRC white lithium grease in the house's door hinges. This looks like it might be a one-time thing.

What else is everybody using grease for around the house, and what kind of grease?

lithium spray grease only door locks, and on the campers door locks, and on the garage door rollers. i can't think of anything else around the house that i grease.

Originally Posted By: Ethan1

CRC white lithium grease in all the padlocks on my property. I put the tube in the lock where the shank would go and I push grease in until it comes out of the lock cylinder. I do this once a year and it keeps my locks working smoothly 100% of the time.

I'd be interested in trying this. I've typically used and recommended only teflon or other dry film lube for locks in dusty locations, as oil and such usually provides temporary relief and long term problems on combo locks. Grease, applied in the way you describe, could displace and prevent intrusion of dust an grit in the mechanism. Never seen anyone do this before, and don't know if it would work on the 4 dial combo locks that I usually use, but this just may be the way. Thanks for sharing!

A tiny amount of Krytox GPL-205 on door hinges of a door that is hung crooked and for the next year it will close itself.

Originally Posted By: spackard
A tiny amount of Krytox GPL-205 on door hinges of a door that is hung crooked and for the next year it will close itself.

0.5oz is $14.99 on Amazon and it says that the stuff is radiation resistant?! What is it designed for? What do you use it for? I use the white lithium because it's cheap
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: WANG
Originally Posted By: Ethan1

I'd be interested in trying this. I've typically used and recommended only teflon or other dry film lube for locks in dusty locations, as oil and such usually provides temporary relief and long term problems on combo locks. Grease, applied in the way you describe, could displace and prevent intrusion of dust an grit in the mechanism. Never seen anyone do this before, and don't know if it would work on the 4 dial combo locks that I usually use, but this just may be the way. Thanks for sharing!

One advantage is that it's very obvious what is being used in the lock, so you don't have to remember if you used graphite or PTFE or oil or whatever.

The biggest drawback is that your key gets grease on it!

Surprisingly, the grease doesn't hinder the easy operation of the lock. I had one old, cheap, no-name lock that wasn't popping open when I turned the key. I just put some grease in there and now it snaps right open like when it was new.

For door hinges I use a product that looks like a crayon. Probably a Grade 5 grease. It keeps them squeak-free for 10 to 15 years. I think it's called "Door-Ease."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back