When To Change Air FIlter???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have the standard Fram EG that I have been running for about 15,000 miles. I examined it in detail and there is little dirt in there. Is it still necessary to change at the 12,000 mile mark like it says on the Fram box?? Thanks

Having personally spoken to the lead Fram engineer a few years ago, I can tell you that the 12k recommendation on the box is not best practice. It's more about selling air filters. The latter comment is my interpretation.

Much better to let the air filter go farther as they become more efficient with use. In a non dusty/non severe environment 30k mi. is easily doable imo. And more likely 35-45k mi.

And then there's the classic thread by member JOD which would appear to concur that AF are capable of much more than realized.

But unless you drive under extremely dusty conditions the 12k "recommendation" should be ignored.

Air FIlter @ 67k Pics JOD

The intake path to the air filter in the Civic is relatively twisty and the upstream side faces downward. I examine it every so often, but it never looks dirty at all. It may be that I'll leave the filter installed until I have an apparent reason to change it.

I change out annualy,
cheers3.gif

My S2000 has original air filter, after 11 years 56k miles with pantyhose pre-filter it is not plug up yet. I probably will keep it in the air box for another 4-5 years.

The air filter in E430 was changed last month after 5 years 50k miles. The filter media is still good but the seal is hardened so I changed it. Yes, it has prefilter too.

The other cars filters have more than 40-50k miles and still in service.

12 month/12k miles is what filter companies want you to change so that they can sell more. Car manufactures recommendation is very conservative. Just changed air filter in my daughter 2014 Accord, with 24k miles the filter is barely dirty, but she likes to change it because the MM says do it. Also, changing filter according to MM to keep warranty intact.

Panty hose?? That works? Do you change the pre filter out or clean or just leave them on the whole time?i do 25k but filter always looks good. Don't know how to tell really without uoa for solocone. Bit I guess plugging would just bog motor down

Discarded pantyhose instead of throw in trash can is cut to appropriate length to use as free pre-filter.

Most if not all vehicles have a tube running from the front to air box, somewhere along the tube there is a place you can use pantyhose to catch larger objects such as leave, bug, sands ... I clean/change it once a year without disturb the air filter, to keep the seal intact.

Used to change air filters frequently, at least at the factory interval... But after years of seeing them come out with just a hint of dirt, not SOTP HP or MPG increase, plus reading the info here about flow rates and filtration efficiency I rarely change or even check them.

Originally Posted By: Malo83
I change out annualy,
cheers3.gif

That's what I do as well ... that is, 12 months or 12,000 to 15,000 miles, whichever comes first.

I'll stick with my method of buying once a year when there is a sale.

My filters are 9 or 10 dollars.

I do the cabin filter also, those are 9 dollars.

Originally Posted By: JustinH
I'll stick with my method of buying once a year when there is a sale.

My filters are 9 or 10 dollars.

I do the cabin filter also, those are 9 dollars.

thumbsup2.gif
Sounds like a good plan to me.

As whats been said on here over and over, the more often you change the air filter the more dirt you let into the engine. You should let the filter load up with dirt and dust because it filters better when it does.

I have 80k miles on my filter in my S2000 and it still does not show any restriction. And you have to have a restriction gauge to know when its time to change a filter. Go look at any over the road truck and you will see they have a restrition gauge. Why? Because it tells them when to change the filter, not done on miles but how well the filter is flowing.

ROD

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rrounds
As whats been said on here over and over, the more often you change the air filter the more dirt you let into the engine. You should let the filter load up with dirt and dust because it filters better when it does.

I have 80k miles on my filter in my S2000 and it still does not show any restriction. And you have to have a restriction gauge to know when its time to change a filter. Go look at any over the road truck and you will see they have a restrition gauge. Why? Because it tells them when to change the filter, not done on miles but how well the filter is flowing.

ROD

What is the price of a restriction gauge?

Is it the price of 9 or 10 new air filters?

The only car I have personally seen with a restriction gauge from the factory was a Ford Focus.

I would really like to see UOA's of engines with an 80k mile old air filter, versus one that gets changed once a year.

I doubt your method, or my method of replacing once a year will make much of a difference in the useful miles of the vehicle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back