Microgard MGL9018 unknown miles - yikes

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would stretch out the media and hold it up to the sun. Might find many more holes. I had a couple of filters where the media developed lots of holes where you see the deformation as the paper pushes against the cage. You can see the dents in the media down the middle of the photo.

For the record, I'm not a big fan of the E-core filter. (I have used probably dozens of them though without incident)
However, I have to give kudos to this filter for the simple fact that we have no idea how old it is and that the engine was being protected by only two quarts of oil. You know this oil was being broke down much faster than if it had the required amount of oil.
Without any more info on this filter, I'll give it the benefit of the doubt.

Originally Posted By: MoreCowbellAz
I was debating on which oil to go with, if it were my car I'd probably do some conv oil once or twice to get it clean then some longer drain syn. But since I was just trying to do a favor and not likely to see the car for awhile (I don't want it to be my maintenance baby) I figured the Maxlife was a good middle ground being a blend; should clean good and be able to go awhile. I doubt she'll be putting a lot of miles on per year.

Anyway, it was my good deed for the day. I did enjoy hearing that crazy clatter go away once I did the oil change. Very satisfying for some reason.

Nice story!

I feel the exact same way after an oil change.

Originally Posted By: Kruse
For the record, I'm not a big fan of the E-core filter. (I have used probably dozens of them though without incident)
However, I have to give kudos to this filter for the simple fact that we have no idea how old it is and that the engine was being protected by only two quarts of oil. You know this oil was being broke down much faster than if it had the required amount of oil.
Without any more info on this filter, I'll give it the benefit of the doubt.

OP's filter is not an e-core, it's a cartridge filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back