50w in a 75-90 application

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone, I was wondering if I could use 50w in my transmission and rearend in my 2012 v6 camaro. The reareend only takes a quart and the trans takes around 1.8 if I remember correctly. I was think of using 50w because I get it at a really discounted price. Any thoughts on this? Thanks for your help. Spencer

For just a couple of quarts I'd consider using the correct lubricant. It's possible that the manufacturer knows what their products needs in the way of lubricants especially because after designing it, they're on the hook for the warranty and their reputation.

You won't have to change it very often so unless you have some knowledge, expertise or experience that the manufacturer lacks in materials, design, manufacturing and lubrication then just stick with the exact recommendations.

Besides, why would you accept an okay to use something different from someone like me.

I should have restated my question. I should of asked would there be any negative affects from doing this. We use 50w in our race cars for 500 miles at Daytona in the rearend. And a lighter weight in the transmission.

Yes, I see your point. Thanks for your help, I was just doing some late night thinking. I will stick to 75-90.

Smell both. The gear oil will have tons more stinky sulfur than 50w motor oil.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Smell both. The gear oil will have tons more stinky sulfur than 50w motor oil.

Yes, the additive packages are very different between gear lube and engine oil. Gear lube reguires a lot of EP & antiwear capability. A 50-weight engine oil is actually thicker than a 75W-90 gear lube.

ta-daa! My 5000th post!

Last edited:
Congrats A_Harman

OP, by 50W, do you mean one of the aftermarket gear lube suppliers who call their stuff "50W" ?

As quite rightly pointed out, PCMO and gear oil are different regarding alkaline and acidic style app packs.

There's nothing below 70W in gear oil spec parlance...and that corresponds to about 10W in engine oil nomenclature...

so a vendor providing 50W gear oil is either providing something that is SAE90 in gear oil speak, or their own interpretation of what would happen below 70W, and it's in the air what they actually mean down there. No specs means that they can claim what they will

Differential oil is made for differentials . There are 50W trans oils for semi truck transmissions.

Assuming the "50W" is a motor oil and not a gear lube... it will destroy the rear end since it doesn't have EP additives that are needed for hypoid gears.

It might do no harm in the transmission (which probably uses ATF originally) but I wouldn't.

I was referring to a 50w gear oil. Tribodyn makes a 50w gear oil and so does neo. There is also the semi truck 50w they use in their trans. The camaro has a ay6 that uses 75-90 gear oil.

O.K this is for a specific racing purpose? I really don't know .look on the viscosity conversion chart and think about what the 50w means as your gear oil choice what is the gear lube rating and what is the name of the company?charthttp://www.bobistheoilguy.com/viscosity-charts/

Originally Posted By: Dirtracer_17
I was referring to a 50w gear oil. Tribodyn makes a 50w gear oil and so does neo. There is also the semi truck 50w they use in their trans. The camaro has a ay6 that uses 75-90 gear oil.

Yeah, I found their snake oil site (Tribodyn)...that's why I framed my response.

They have no specs at all, other than miraculous claims, so I can't answer.

Again...are they making it engnine oil SE 50 viscosity, in which case they are a 90 gear oil equivalent, or are they making up their own "below SAE70W" range, and what is it ?

Their MSDS show VIs of 99-120, that's scarecelysynthetic race oil range.

Hey everyone, I was wondering if I could use 50w in my transmission and rearend in my 2012 v6 camaro. The reareend only takes a quart and the trans takes around 1.8 if I remember correctly. I was think of using 50w because I get it at a really discounted price. Any thoughts on this? Thanks for your help. Spencer

That must be a tiny transmission. Does GM still use the Tremecs that require atf? manual transmissions can be really finicky when it comes to fluid. Use only what the transmission mfg requires or you may end up with shifting issues.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm

That must be a tiny transmission. Does GM still use the Tremecs that require atf? manual transmissions can be really finicky when it comes to fluid. Use only what the transmission mfg requires or you may end up with shifting issues.

I believe the V-6's 6 speed manual box is made by Aisin, which probably would have a lower fluid capacity than the LS3's Tremec TR6060's 4 quarts, but yes, that 1.8 quarts STILL seems too low.
21.gif

I am also surprised that it is specced for a 75W-90 gear oil, IF that is true.
confused2.gif

Amsoil applications guide lists the capacity for the rear diff at 1.9 pints of 75w90 just under 1 quart.

Upgrading to the v8 model gets you a 4.2 pint capacity or 2.1 quarts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back