HP 4100C Scanner with Ubuntu 12.04

Status
Not open for further replies.

Al

Doesn't recognize scanner. I am totally clueless with Ubuntu. I depend on my son. He indicated that there isn't much I can do. I suspect he doesn't want to take the trouble.

Just a couple details and I can bug him with information.

Thanks

Last edited:
Did you go into the software manager and load "HPLIP" and the associated toolbox program or check to see if it is installed?

Last edited:
This is the downside of Linux. It takes a tinkerer who has loads of time to get something working. There is a victory to some and I get that. I still see it as a backend server and amazing on at that.

Looks like you need a file and lots of config. I get paid to do this stuff occasioanlly at work and cringe when I fiddle with this stuff. Others thrive but I am a developer.

http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/hardy/man5/sane-hp.5.html

I do use linux btw on my virtual machines for development purposes as backend server. But beg my admins to set themup for me and then download them onto my laptop vs spending a half day or day suffering.

Here's some more details for you, Al. This site shows that the scanner is completely compatible. Check if those files are available in the repositories. In any event, the real thing you need has already been suggested, and that's HPLIP. On any Ubuntu/Mint version from the past number of years, my HP printer has been completely plug and play, even better than Windows at the office with an HP printer.

Let us know how it goes. I've had luck troubleshooting a couple things with HP stuff before. A good tip to remember is if the HPLIP and associated stuff is installed and it's still not working, have it uninstall it and reinstall it. Sometimes that picks it up. The Ubuntu forums will also be very helpful in this regard.

Here is what my son wrote:

No. This thing is ancient. It uses the parallel port, which i'm pretty sure you don't have. And even if you did it wouldn't be worth the aggravation. It's not even supported on modern versions of Windows.

Quote:

Doesn't recognize scanner.

Where are you plugging the cable in to?

Cables on computers only accommodate 'correct' connections; if you can plug it in somewhere, it has a parallel port.

The HP toolbox I originally referenced has a setup for parallel devices.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Al
No. This thing is ancient. It uses the parallel port,

So, is this correct?

According to info I found online this devices has a USB port.

Originally Posted By: Al
No. This thing is ancient. It uses the parallel port, which i'm pretty sure you don't have. And even if you did it wouldn't be worth the aggravation. It's not even supported on modern versions of Windows.

Yes, which has the parallel port, the computer or the 4100C? If one has it, hopefully the other does, too.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back