2003 Toyota Corolla... 0W20 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A friend of mine recently moved back overseas for work. As a result, I was left with around 8qts of Valvoline Synthetic 0w20 (or 5w20...).
We have an '03 Corolla with the 1ZZ-FE engine.

If that TGMO chart on the previous page is correct, than thats okay to use this stuff?

sw99 is running 0W20 in his 1ZZ-FE without trouble, i assume it's okay. I'm waiting for my filter, and i'll try it in my 3ZZ-FE soon too.

Originally Posted By: B320i
A friend of mine recently moved back overseas for work. As a result, I was left with around 8qts of Valvoline Synthetic 0w20 (or 5w20...).
We have an '03 Corolla with the 1ZZ-FE engine.

If that TGMO chart on the previous page is correct, than thats okay to use this stuff?

only in canada.

I don't trust that chart unless Canada never saw the MR2 or MR... As the US name phonetically sounds like the word shi... Yup.

Also, I don't trust 0w in the1zz. The MR2 with precat failures is worse than the corolla but 0w is doing no favors... And I will run 0w in my other cars

Originally Posted By: FutureDoc
I don't trust that chart unless Canada never saw the MR2 or MR... As the US name phonetically sounds like the word shi... Yup.

Also, I don't trust 0w in the1zz. The MR2 with precat failures is worse than the corolla but 0w is doing no favors... And I will run 0w in my other cars

Curious as to why you are concerned about the oil's ability to flow/pump at -35C? What bearing does that have on the 1ZZ? Are we talking 0w-20, 0w-30, 0w-40, 0w-50? The all carry the 0W-xx designation, so they will all pass the CCS test @ -35C and the MRV test at -40C.

By the way, turns out its 5w20. Just checked with Google and it seems to be okay. While the Summer climate is quite hot, the vehicle never sees very long trips, or carrying a full load around, with the A/C in that weather. Just 10-15 minute trips at best, with the A/C in around 104º Summer weather.

The previous mechanic put 15w50 in there, claiming its better for the hot weather; only thing is that Synthetics don't really care about hot weather like they used to... So moot point.

Will run a shorter interval on this stuff, and see where its at.

I don't trust that chart unless Canada never saw the MR2 or MR...

I haven't seen any examples on our roads of anything after the first generation, and only a couple examples of the first generation, many years ago. So, perhaps there were few or none, depending upon the model year.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

Curious as to why you are concerned about the oil's ability to flow/pump at -35C? What bearing does that have on the 1ZZ? Are we talking 0w-20, 0w-30, 0w-40, 0w-50? The all carry the 0W-xx designation, so they will all pass the CCS test @ -35C and the MRV test at -40C.

I am not. The 0w was in reference to 0w20, my apologizes for not being clear (on iPad and was lazy switching the keypad). My issue is thinner 0w20 (even 5w20) oil making it to the pre-cats (for ULEV status) which degrades the honeycomb material over a short time. Now, not all markets had this issue and Corolla might or might not have the same number of precats but I believe it was a lot more common for 1ZZ-FED paired with ULEV pre-cats.

Originally Posted By: Garak
I haven't seen any examples on our roads of anything after the first generation, and only a couple examples of the first generation, many years ago. So, perhaps there were few or none, depending upon the model year.

I can expect that the Spyder version was a low seller in Canada (it was in the US) and I expect that pre-2008 models might be an issue as I think y'all had some slightly different crash standards. Then again, the MkII production ran for beyond the 1995 date on the chart (so it is missing two models of the MR2). That might be it but it would be odd if that is the one example of a Yota vehicle being left off the chart (but the Supra was included? Odd...)

I am not. The 0w was in reference to 0w20, my apologizes for not being clear (on iPad and was lazy switching the keypad). My issue is thinner 0w20 (even 5w20) oil making it to the pre-cats (for ULEV status) which degrades the honeycomb material over a short time. Now, not all markets had this issue and Corolla might or might not have the same number of precats but I believe it was a lot more common for 1ZZ-FED paired with ULEV pre-cats.

Thank you for clarifying. Concern about thinner (in general) oils in the application makes more sense
smile.gif

That might be it but it would be odd if that is the one example of a Yota vehicle being left off the chart (but the Supra was included? Odd...)

Ironically, the Supras of all generations were a lot more common here than the MR2s. I never actually rode in an MR2, but I've been in a number of Supras. Perhaps the MR2 was a poor winter vehicle, even by sports car standards.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Garak
Perhaps the MR2 was a poor winter vehicle, even by sports car standards.
smile.gif

Interesting. Actually, the MR2 is fairly poor. Plenty of weight on the rear but nothing up front (and the rear wants to lead). Now, I don't have the accumulation (or the DOT response) but we have a lot of small events (like 1/4 icing) and poor terrain (I am on 19.15% slope). It is not fun... especially when I keep the summer tires on year-round (actually my 99 Subie is my "snow tires".

That's some interesting insight. I only knew one person who actually owned one, and I have no idea what his winter experiences were like. The last time I saw one in person would have been back then, which was 1989. So, perhaps there was simply little reason to address that vehicle in the chart. For all I know, not having researched it, it may not have been sold past the first generation in Canada. As close as the U.S. and Canadian auto markets are, there are occasional offerings in one market that simply don't overlap into the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back