2004 Saturn L300 V6

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.midwestautostore.com/web/used/Saturn-L-Series-2004-Florence-Kentucky/19170971/

Been thinking about getting this car. Any input?

rQ_800.jpg

This has the 3.0 L Opel/Saab v6. Like to leak coolant at t'stat housing /oil cooler in valley. P.I.T.A. to reseal.... Also need timing belt replaced at regular intervals or if it's not - they usually will lunch the valves/pistons/heads as I believe they are interference engines. Intake manifold issue is with most older domestic V6's.... not this one - dry manifold - diff. design.

BurrWinder

I imagine they will negotiate on it anyways. I considered the wagon version for a while, but then thought it wouldn't be worth the potential hassle of Saab/Saturn. There's probably none in my local wreckers and potentially parts may not be available the same day locally as they are pretty rare around here. Maybe they were more popular down there?
I see they have a newer 4 cyl Accord there, I'd think it would be a car with less potential headaches for a bit more money.
I always look at a specific vehicle forum to see what's up with a rarer car, and to see how much community tech support there is.

Originally Posted By: BurrWinder
This has the 3.0 L Opel/Saab v6. Like to leak coolant at t'stat housing /oil cooler in valley. P.I.T.A. to reseal.... Also need timing belt replaced at regular intervals or if it's not - they usually will lunch the valves/pistons/heads as I believe they are interference engines. Intake manifold issue is with most older domestic V6's.... not this one - dry manifold - diff. design.

BurrWinder

Good to know, but usually every car some some major pitfall.

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Any input?

Would you consider anything else?

Yes of course, i have been looking at many different vehicles. I just liked that condition of this vehicle from pictures combined with the under 100k mileage and lower price. I will need to get a car loan since i don't have any cash saved, so trying to keep the payments lower; been looking at between $5-7k ish.

Have mostly been considering sedans with automatic transmissions and front wheel drive. I am open to plenty of things, but don't really want RWD and have to have enough room for 4.

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
Ok. Trading in the Buick?

No i need to keep the Buick, need 2 cars.

I saw good reviews about the car on most sites and the biggest thing i liked about them is i hear they are pretty much rust proof, which is a big problem around this area due to the heavy salting and moderate snow fall.

See my signature. Just about finishing up 12 years on a 2003 I bought new. Only issue was an AC Delco baery tthat shorted internally and fried the ECU (under warranty) and at 94,000 miles a solenoid went out in the tranny that needed replaced. Timing belts ares upposed to go for 110,000 miles. My car now has almost 122,000 miles on it and I did the belt, water pump and tensioner at about 90,000 miles just to be on the safe side. I had the four prong Bosch plugs replaced about the same time. Other than that----tires, brakes, etc.

Around here, these do bring higher dollar amounts because they are all generally rust free.

This car is really a winner for me. Absolutely rust free even though it has been used in 12 Pennsylvania salty winters. Still gets about 25 mpg around town and in the high 20's on the highway. I am now using Mobil 1 5W-30 EP and change the oil and cartridge filter once a year (about 8500 miles of driving.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Asking WAY too much.

I already ran a KBB on it for the options, condition (good), mileage and came out right at the fair asking price which is $5400.

The range is between $4400-6400 for dealer price on this car.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Asking WAY too much.

I already ran a KBB on it for the options, condition (good), mileage and came out right at the fair asking price which is $5400.

The range is between $4400-6400 for dealer price on this car.

It seems to me that it would be a good car for what you are needing it for, in your price range, lower mileage, at least one persons personal experience with that model.

I'd have a really difficult time paying $5k for 11-year old basic transportation -- then again, it's all about perspective and what you're accustomed to when purchasing vehicles.

Car and Driver reviewed the L200 and it placed dead last in a comparison test:
"The car for touchy-feely people who just need wheels."
"The Saturn's biggest problem is its lack of passion. The dashboard design is uninspired, the materials look as if they were the cheapest GM could find, and the effect is to render the experience almost totally sterile."

For an alternative, take a look at the Hyundai XG350. The word from Car and Driver again:
"Mini Maybach outside"
"As a comprehensively equipped road glider, the XG350 is thoroughly competent. The structure is tight, the control-arm-front and multilink-rear suspension is compliant, there's little wind or tire noise"

As well, consumer reviews are excellent: http://www.kbb.com/hyundai/xg350/2004-hyundai-xg350/

Here's one in Lexington that goes up on Monday: http://www.copart.com/us/Lot/19762895

Yes, there's hail damage. Then again, this is basic, low-cost transportation we're talking about here, and all that matters is you actually arriving at point B. I'd rather do so in a XG350 with some minor dents that cost nothing, versus a Saturn that ran $5k.

It's in Kentucky, so you'll have to go through a broker (another $250). It should go for next to nothing though (pay no attention to the "want it today" price) -- take the trip down 75 and see what it looks like in person.

The best part? Here's the recommended viscosity list, which is quite the rarity in a modern car:

Above -9 F: 10W-30, 10W-40, 10W-50
Above 32 F: 20W-40, 20W-50
Below 95 F: 5W-30, 5W-40

Think about how much fun you'll have running different oils! Woohoo!

For cars in this price range, I don't care about what any car magazine said about it a decade ago... New car shoppers can compare cup holders, gauge colors, and dash textures, but for simple transportation its irrelevant.
Condition and previous maintenance is the main concern, and avoiding any known issues with that model that haven't been addressed.
By default I'd go for a 4 cyl and mtx as well, but that's just my preferences for my driving.

I know the 4-cyl versions of those cars are pretty rock solid and are dirt cheap around here. My grandparents have one and its been one of the most problem free cars in the family..

Get an l200. It does everything the l300 does without doing all the things that the l300 does.....

Or something like that...

You are so close to rust free states, shop their local Craigslist to see good specials.

Heck make a short vacation outta it.

I see oil filters on Rock Auto for $1.10, 4 for less than $15 with shipping.

AutoZone has an STP filter for around $5

Originally Posted By: hansj3
Get an l200. It does everything the l300 does without doing all the things that the l300 does.....

Or something like that...

You are so close to rust free states, shop their local Craigslist to see good specials.

Heck make a short vacation outta it.

I'm limited to the dealerships that will work with me since I need a loan and I'm not having the easiest time.

I have to find something available locally if I want it, I don't have the cash luxury at this time.

I have researched a lot of dealers in my area and I'm pretty sure my next used car will come from that dealership I listed. I still look at other ones but their selection is very limited compared to Midwest auto store.

Also I am kinda partial to V6 engines, but not a deal breaker.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back