22" Craftsman side discharge mower garbage find

I think this is an early 90's mower.
Craftsman 22" 4.0hp Tecumseh
Side discharge only
Big wheels

I found it on the curb with some other trash bags
Gas tank was empty
Tried pulling the starter cord and it actually ran for like 3 seconds.
Brought it home and dumped a bit of gas in the tank.
All the gas proceeded to free flow out of the air filter.
I took the opportunity to wipe it down good with an old rag now soaked with wasted gas.
The float in the carb was stuck to the bottom of the bowl

Freed it up and now runs great without buying any new parts
banana2.gif

I lubed the wheels, this thing pushes so easy
Blade was sharp and looks like it is maybe 1 season old

Pic for you guys.

IMAG0933.jpg

I'm really not a fan of side discharge, I like a mulcher better. But hey it was free
Does anyone know what 4.0hp is converted roughly to current day torque ratings?

Last edited:

Does it matter, as long as it cuts grass.

Great find!

Originally Posted By: expat

Does it matter, as long as it cuts grass.

Great find!

Yea who gives a shat what the torque rating is. Nice find.

Great score! Solid, simple high-wheel mower. Those were built to last.

My city had a 'large item pickup' recently, and you wouldn't believe the good things people were just throwing away. Snowblowers, mowers, BMX bicycles, basketball hoops, weed-whackers, bbq grills, patio furniture, you name it.

I did my best to save things before the metal scrappers came. I saved 5 working bicycles, tuned them up, and donated them to Goodwill. Gave away 3 working bbq grills on Craigslist, gave away 2 basketball hoops on CL, donated fence posts and cabinets to Habitat, kept a few items for myself. Got a sweet Toro string trimmer that just needed string. Got 4 plastic patio chairs in near-perfect condition. Grabbed a motorized golf bag caddy thingy with a 12v gel cell that fit my kid's powerwheels jeep. Days like that make me regret selling my pickup. SUV's just don't cut it for hauling that sort of stuff.

Nice pick! I have a similar vintage deck...a '94 Craftsman FWD that came with a similar Tecumseh "Eager-1". The deck is really quite solid. The transmission still works great and it's got the same spoked high wheels in the back like yours. Compared with the cheaper plastic high wheels on today's mowers, yours and mine have nice ball bearings in them (think bicycle bearings) that can at least be oiled. Yes -- it rolls very easily.

My deck has a hole in the back rather than in the side (bagger only), but I don't have a bag. I still use it -- just with the trap door closed to mulch. The Tecumseh's sitting on a Lawn-Boy 10330 right now, and I have the Honda GCV160 off my 2003 Craftsman on this old '94 Craftsman at the moment.

Building/swapping mowers is so much fun.

Originally Posted By: howie2092
Days like that make me regret selling my pickup. SUV's just don't cut it for hauling that sort of stuff.

Off topic, but I agree with you. I had a '97 Dakota a few years ago as a third vehicle. As part of the decision to sell it, my wife agreed to let me buy a small utility trailer. That was the best move I've made in a long time -- a 5x8 open bed utility trailer is larger and lower than most pickup beds, making it incredibly handy for actually carrying things. Plus, it requires no insurance, next to no maintenance, and about $18/year in combined tag/taxes.

My city had a 'large item pickup' recently, and you wouldn't believe the good things people were just throwing away. Snowblowers, mowers, BMX bicycles, basketball hoops, weed-whackers, bbq grills, patio furniture, you name it.

I did my best to save things before the metal scrappers came. I saved 5 working bicycles, tuned them up, and donated them to Goodwill. Gave away 3 working bbq grills on Craigslist, gave away 2 basketball hoops on CL, donated fence posts and cabinets to Habitat, kept a few items for myself. Got a sweet Toro string trimmer that just needed string. Got 4 plastic patio chairs in near-perfect condition. Grabbed a motorized golf bag caddy thingy with a 12v gel cell that fit my kid's powerwheels jeep. Days like that make me regret selling my pickup. SUV's just don't cut it for hauling that sort of stuff.

Consumption is 70% of our economy. If we didn't throw away old things, we would not have the strong economy and the prosperity we have now.

Originally Posted By: Alfred_B
Consumption is 70% of our economy. If we didn't throw away old things, we would not have the strong economy and the prosperity we have now.

I see you are from Illinois >>>
Any chance you have an old boat about 20ft 150-100hp that you are throwing away?
thanks

Originally Posted By: Brybo86

Any chance you have an old boat about 20ft 150-100hp that you are throwing away?
thanks

Yeh, I should throw out some stuff (even though it's good quality and working well) and buy new stuff this weekend.
For the sake of the economy.

thanks

LOL. No, no boat. I see boats as black holes for your money.

Originally Posted By: expat

thanks

Yeh, I should throw out some stuff (even though it's good quality and working well) and buy new stuff this weekend.
For the sake of the economy.

Things come with built in obsolescence -- the whole economic system is designed for consumption. You may fight it, but tell me how old your cell phone is.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Days like that make me regret selling my pickup. SUV's just don't cut it for hauling that sort of stuff.

Off topic, but I agree with you. I had a '97 Dakota a few years ago as a third vehicle. As part of the decision to sell it, my wife agreed to let me buy a small utility trailer. That was the best move I've made in a long time -- a 5x8 open bed utility trailer is larger and lower than most pickup beds, making it incredibly handy for actually carrying things. Plus, it requires no insurance, next to no maintenance, and about $18/year in combined tag/taxes.

Yep, exactly. Replaced my 12mpg crew cab with an 18mpg SUV that actually fits in a normal parking spot - with the idea that I would use a trailer for any hauling.
Instead of a nice 5x8, silly me bought my neighbor's comically tiny trailer. probably should sell the tiny trailer and get a nice 5x8.

Probably about a 550 torque rating.

I have a 1992 Craftsman II that I still use and it looks better than a lot of newer mowers out there. It has the beastly 3.5hp Tecumseh engine on it, and it still start on the first or second pull. I run synthetic 10x30 in it. The only thing besides the blade and spark plug change, was I rebuilt the carb because the original brass float got a crack in it. Here's a short video clip I made last year.

https://youtu.be/0RD68pzG_e4

L8R,
Matt

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Alfred_B
Originally Posted by howie2092

Atleast we could put a big dent in China's economy if people didn't run to the store to replace something every time a problem popped up. Nothing is made here anymore, China benefits the most.

Last edited:
Back