ATF for 1997 4l60E

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those that have had friends and family make the ultimate sacrifice, they are not and will never be forgotten.

I have a '97 GMC K1500 with the 4L60E. This puppy has the original tranny with 183,000 miles. I recently flushed the tranny via the cooler lines and replaced with Havoline DEXRON-VI Multi-Vehicle Synthetic ATF. This deal on Amazon was better than Valvoline's Maxlife ATF at Walmart, and I could have it delivered right to my door. But, I have read how thin this new stuff is, and Maxlife would have been the better choice.

My question is: Should I have used Maxlife instead? The truck doesn't leak ATF, tows maybe once a year, and has a rough 2nd to 3rd shift (1st to 2nd is perfect).

Maxlife and DexronVI are pretty close in in regards to viscosity.

Both are good choices, since they are shear stable fluids, they start out lower than DexronIII but stay at a higher viscosity in service.

Plenty of these 4 speed Gm transmissions are running fine on both Maxlife and DexronVI. I use Maxlife myself and consider it superior to DexronVI.

Either are fine choices.

I've got a Universal in mine have 10L of maxlife put through it, not sure what that makes the blend in it.

Could drain out enough to mix in a jug of maxlife or maybe add a bottle of lubegard red if it bugs you enough

Last edited:
I have a 90s GM tranny that likes DexIII better than VI-level viscosity fluids (like MaxLife). I use Mag1 MV full synthetic from Amazon for it. That plus Lubeguard Red and it runs soooo smooth it's amazing.

I would not replace the Havoline w/Maxlife; very similar. If it runs fine and likes it, no need to worry about the visc. difference between VI and the original III it was designed for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back