1992 Grand Marquis INTENSE SHUDDERS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys. Was curious about a big torque converter question.
I think, the tc is going bad in my 92 grand marquis. Might still be a misfire but no engine light on.
Car often gets warm then starts bucking like a bronko back and forth (like pulling a fold out table across the floor, just more violent) and the engine feels like it isn't getting anywhere. Often will rev high before it shifts from neutral to first. Does this in reverse too, pretty much any gear in low revs.

So My thought was torque converter clutch, but wanted your thoughts before I get a new one. Basically the car has many miles on it, was used and the other owner from the looks of the fluid never changed it (his fluid was dark dark red, couldn't tell if it smelled off, but certainly looks AWFUL, apparently when I called him up he left the car sitting for 2 years, after it has 280,000 miles / 350,000 km on it.), I've yet to put in a new filter but when I changed it for synthetic fluid the problem got worse (bottle said it was compatible for mercon and mercon V, my tranny uses mercon) I also tried lucas no slip no leaks additive but...does nothing really. Im reluctant to drive anywhere and when I do have to be really easy on the accelerator, especially up hill, otherwise once it shift it will immediately be bucking it's way through 1st then 2nd, where at higher revs it feels like it catches and is okay for a while, but Im afraid Im doing terrible tranny / tc damage.

I was TOLD by a mechanic that one way to get more life out of it (which I need to look for a newer car and to go to work the next while) is to APPARENTLY add differential fluid to the ATF and that will help smooth out / remove those jerks. Could it be a transmission or torque converter control solenoid, broken cv joint, misfire (just plugs) or even the dirty clogged filter keeping back pressure as well? I don't hear much as far as noise, seems normal, but pretty much intense forward backward jerking, and feels like it isn't side to side, front to back for sure, bottom of the vehicle feels like it's a thumping demon trying to get out. Only in gear shift, low revs, any gear, under acceleration.

Will that work? I've found absolutely no info about it online, any advice or help is greatly appreciated, student budgets and all. Thank you anyone and everyone.

Last edited:
I just think the Transmission completely failed.

An old abused trans then flushed with new fluid is very hit and miss.

The trans hit it's mileage mark, so I wouldn't really blame it.

Falken could be right, at over 280k miles it may be done and ready for a rebuild.

But in your place I would try another pan drop/refill or two with filter change. Since you said the synthetic fluid made it worse, try some basic non syn Mercon.

The bucking could also be from an out of tune engine, bad motor or transmission mounts or loose torque converter bolts; so before paying for a rebuild you might want to consider making all those right first.

Last edited:
OP sounds like you need a new transmission, flushing usually doesn't cause any issues, I think that's a common misconceptions. I bet I know why, catching up on years of neglect is the first thing someone tries to do when faced with a failing transmission. The fluid is usually first on the list,then when the transmission fails shortly after, well it must have been the new fluid.

Anyone else agree?

Torque converter clutch doesn't get involved with first gear. SOunds like new tranny time.
frown.gif

If it is "bucking" in any gear at low revs/high(er) load that can be a misfire. IIRC, that engine had two coil packs, if one of them is pooping the bed, it may be causing misfires on four cylinders, which would certainly prevent it from getting out of its own way and cause it to buck and shake like crazy.

The TCC would be unlocked in the lower gears, if you turn O/D off, it should keep the converter unlocked, so if you can replicate the symptoms in that mode, then I doubt it is the TCC.

Also, codes on an older Ford are fun.... I've had COP's fail and never set a CEL because the misfire count wasn't high enough. Had one that would break down under load at lower rev's and cause the truck to shudder like crazy. Got the rev's up and it would smooth out.

It certainly COULD be your tranny pooping the bed, but it may not be. And that suggestion from your mechanic is awful, do NOT do that. Troubleshooting this over the Internet is extremely difficult unfortunately so you will need to find a way of narrowing this down.

Transmission shudder usually occurs at higher speeds, when the TC is locking up...or trying to...!

Failing transmissions usually slip, or lose drive altogether in a gear or two.

Misfires often occur at low revs, just as you ask for more power... then you will feel a noticeable stutter or jerkiness... the engine will be running on fewer cylinders, so the firing order is messed up and you will feel it....and the engine feels sluggish.

Do a tune IP/check the coils and wires. I had a 95 roll through the shop with 200k and OEM wires.
Also fords are known for shutters, there is a product called transrx or something like that it comes in a small red tube. I have seen it work personally. However if its that bad there isn't much to be done

Also, just so everyone is aware, the AODE came in 92.5. This could be a [censored] block 4.6L with an AOD behind it. If it does, itll have a TV cable and if that has an issue it'll quickly kill the transmission.

Originally Posted By: Amirkhat
flushing usually doesn't cause any issues, I think that's a common misconceptions. I bet I know why, catching up on years of neglect is the first thing someone tries to do when faced with a failing transmission. The fluid is usually first on the list,then when the transmission fails shortly after, well it must have been the new fluid.

Anyone else agree?
Agreed 100%. If a transmission fails shortly after changing the fluid, it was on its last legs and would have failed soon anyway.

Originally Posted By: matchbox2022
Does this in reverse too, pretty much any gear in low revs. So My thought was torque converter clutch, but wanted your thoughts before I get a new one.
TCC isn't locked in reverse or low.

I was TOLD by a mechanic that one way to get more life out of it (which I need to look for a newer car and to go to work the next while) is to APPARENTLY add differential fluid to the ATF and that will help smooth out / remove those jerks.
I think what he meant was to add a bottle of friction modifier (Ford XL-3), not to add gear oil.

vehicle feels like it's a thumping demon trying to get out. Only in gear shift, low revs, any gear, under acceleration.
That sounds like a classic misfire. Check the plugs, wires, and coil packs.

Another cause on that era Crown Vic is the DPFE sensor along with having clogged EGR passages. Go to crownvic.net for information on cleaning them.

Hey thank you guys so much for all those quick replies. I know it might still be the converter so I'll try some YES friction modifier, not gear oil. The problem definitely causes the whole car to buck back and forth as it tries to accelerate.

I will get to changing the tranny filter and take a look, the fluid when I changed it was straight up dark dark red, maybe even pump in plain mercon too instead.
The problems seem to increase after changing the fluid though...the only thing that leads me to believe misfire is that there was a significant coolant leak (guy fixed a hose with duct tape that I asked if was patched correctly and he said yes underneath...it wasn't.) while driving about a week before the issues began to happen with this bucking.

I'll grab some friction modifier, if that helps then I guess I know the culprit.....if it doesn't I'll post a video and show you guys.
Also once I changed the fluid, it seemed to take a while for the transmission to "catch", first gear felt like neutral when revving until it did....I added more ATF and it seemed to help that however. The back and forth bucking tends to only happen on low revs with load, and it is VIOLENT.
NO check engine light has come up what so ever.
Again thank you all for your help, look forward to any more advice from these forums. Don't have much $$ obviously, so I'm hoping for a fix for long enough to afford a car with a warranty.

And sorry what's an IP?

Alot of this [censored] is due to me being rushed to buy a car, the guy had no maintenance information what so ever......
The wires DO look like they've been changed. Not a [censored] clue about the coil packs.

With the car idling in park or neutral, try giving the throttle a hard whack. If it still does it- even if it's not as bad, you've got an engine related issue.

Just an update, tried out some friction modifier, then I tried using the AC on full with brakes in park to see if I could replicate the problem.
I could only slightly, now once in gear and holding the brake (such as from P->R)
The car vibrates when moving at any considerable speed, as well as the engine revs at a standstill in gear are very very low.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back