dino to synthetic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I drive a 1997 36' motor home with a Ford 460 EFI and a E4Od transmission. I have always used the 10-30 oil recommended in the manual, but wonder if it would be better for me to run a syn or semi-syn in the engine. It's in great condition, but it pulls a load (16,000#) in hot conditions.

Wow, the idea of 5-20 would make me nervous. The rv has 37,000 miles on it. I saw nothing on the chart about synthetics, but when my rv was made, they were still pretty new. You think a 5-20 would give me the lubrication I need under load? I know it's Ford's recommendation, just seems awfully thin to me.

Originally Posted By: john_luke
Wow, the idea of 5-20 would make me nervous. The rv has 37,000 miles on it. I saw nothing on the chart about synthetics, but when my rv was made, they were still pretty new. You think a 5-20 would give me the lubrication I need under load? I know it's Ford's recommendation, just seems awfully thin to me.

Big blocks tend to consume oil to begin with. Though I know today's 20 grades are stout your application is heavy duty without a doubt so I guess I'd er on the side of caution and go thicker.
I'm a big fan of the euro spec oils. They are made to run extended drains and are very stout.
I'm sure you've got an oil cooler and that ford considered the recommendation before printing it however the duty cycle is severe,thus going thicker is likely appropriate.
Your call. It's not a mod motor,which have proven to last forever running 20 grades. It's an old school cam in block torque monster. Revs will rarely scream and oil film thickens as rpm increase so one can assume there is minimal oil film at any given time.
If the euro spec oils don't turn your crank then I suggest a 10w-30/15w-40 conventional hdeo and run short intervals.

I would keep on keppin'on with the 10w30 imo or even thicker with the 15w40 hedo. High torque/low revs like Clevy said. Your favorite dino would be fine. I like the idea of a syn tranny fluid though.

Originally Posted By: john_luke
I drive a 1997 36' motor home with a Ford 460 EFI and a E4Od transmission. I have always used the 10-30 oil recommended in the manual, but wonder if it would be better for me to run a syn or semi-syn in the engine. It's in great condition, but it pulls a load (16,000#) in hot conditions.

Stick with what you have been using. Changing the fluids is more important than upgrading to synthetic.

Thanks to all for the input. I usually change the oil about once a year, which is about 4k miles, will stick with the 10-30 and change to a synthetic trans fluid soon. Engine runs about 2500 rpm at 65 which is cruising speed for me. Changing fluids is cheap insurance and care.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back