Contemplating a Tacoma...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've always liked the 2009 Tacoma double cabs 4x4's, especially in brown with tinted windows. I've never sat in, drove one, or know anything about that particular year, but they look pretty darn good to me. Rusty frame years? I don't know.

I realize I am in the vast minority on this, but I really do not get the hype of the new Colorado or Canyons. I mean they are probably much better than the old ones they replaced, but they aren't that small or that inexpensive. The interiors of those trucks look great, but the exterior of the Colorado looks more foreign than domestic to my eyes (maybe need eye exam soon?). The Canyon says I can't afford the Sierra, so this little Sierra will have to do, even though it might go for $40k. Maybe the Colorado LTZ models would get my attention better??? Don't know.

Here is my thinking: If the Tacoma still sells in boatloads and reviews rag on them about their crudeness vs the competition, do all the sales mean nobody minds the crudeness or are they just a decent, solid mid size truck and people recognize that?

I would test drive the Tacoma in the style you like and go from there.
I hope GM is successful with the new trucks as a lot of jobs are created from them. My dad retired from GM so I sure am not anti GM. Just saying...

It won't be new, not on a bet. (Offhand, Toyota no longer offers a regular cab!) But I have been looking, and almost every base-model truck I see is a Tacoma. The vast majority of even base Rangers (being mostly fleet trucks) have automatic transmissions.

As I said: regular cab, manual shift, 2WD, base model, not beaten to death. That pretty much means a Tacoma.

You're looking used? Can't get a regular cab tacoma any more
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Where do you find such a unicorn? I'd love to find a duratec 5 speed base model Ranger! They can get 30MPG if driven lightly.

I posted it up here a couple of months ago. Low miles, pretty clean, and really a nice runner with AC that worked! Really been a sweet lil truck for one of my favorite kids. We love it.

It's what a small truck should be IMO...

You can get a USED prev gen Colorado WT with 2wd 2.8L 4 DOHC and 5 speed. Ive found new ones a couple years ago at Commonwealth motors in Lawrence, MA.

Ive found a couple rangers on Autorader, but they are asking WAY to much $$:

Last edited:
Too bad they are getting rarer and rarer every day. Never occurred to me to find the Mazda version. I like the Duratec/MZR I4 engine.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
You can get a USED prev gen Colorado WT with 2wd 2.8L 4 DOHC and 5 speed. Ive found new ones a couple years ago at Commonwealth motors in Lawrence, MA.

Early Colorado? Not on a bet...horrible truck, inferior to a Tacoma, Ranger, or Frontier in every way.

Oh, quit complaining HERE:) I miss the small trucks too. Owned a few over the years. Wish I got the '94 ranger std cab 3.0 5 speed I test drove at Portsmouth Ford years ago. That was quick before OBDii messed it up. Same thing with the Lincoln markviii. They were fast with the intech v8 BEFORE obdii implementation ('93). Don't know why though. Still claustrophobia -bins like the late 90s camrys/

I had a '93 Lincoln Mark VIII. That thing was a freight train that got 29 MPG on the highway. A freight train that had every part simply fall off one after the other,... but it was fast.

My son has a 2006 x cab 4x4 4 cyl stick shift and it is a nice truck. The 4 cyl runs really good and other than recall upgrades it has been a good truck.

Just watch for rust. Was reminded of this while taking a walk through the back lot at a dealer. Shiny up top, but it did not look good peering into the wheelwells. I guess dorks like us only would notice, but I do not understand why, on a truck where you can see frame and suspension components without even bending over, that the oem would not spend another minutes to make those components not rust so fast.

OP, any progress on the search?

Originally Posted By: supton
Just watch for rust. Was reminded of this while taking a walk through the back lot at a dealer. Shiny up top, but it did not look good peering into the wheelwells. I guess dorks like us only would notice, but I do not understand why, on a truck where you can see frame and suspension components without even bending over, that the oem would not spend another minutes to make those components not rust so fast.

OP, any progress on the search?
Rust is a huge problem! Great that you reminded us !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back