Contemplating a Tacoma...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: supton
Just watch for rust. Was reminded of this while taking a walk through the back lot at a dealer. Shiny up top, but it did not look good peering into the wheelwells. I guess dorks like us only would notice, but I do not understand why, on a truck where you can see frame and suspension components without even bending over, that the oem would not spend another minutes to make those components not rust so fast.

OP, any progress on the search?

5 years ago when I bought the Cherokee, I saw a Cherokee like that for sale at a small little shop that sold cars. The top side was nice. It even had rocker panels!

There was NO FRAME in the back. Well, unibody. The unibody had completely rusted away in the rear. Someone bought it (not me) and for probably 2 years , it was on their lawn with a for sale sign. Pretty sure it ended up getting scrapped. Looks like they bought it, had it a year and couldn't get it inspected again due to the lack of a frame.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Originally Posted By: supton
Just watch for rust. Was reminded of this while taking a walk through the back lot at a dealer. Shiny up top, but it did not look good peering into the wheelwells. I guess dorks like us only would notice, but I do not understand why, on a truck where you can see frame and suspension components without even bending over, that the oem would not spend another minutes to make those components not rust so fast.

OP, any progress on the search?

5 years ago when I bought the Cherokee, I saw a Cherokee like that for sale at a small little shop that sold cars. The top side was nice. It even had rocker panels!

There was NO FRAME in the back. Well, unibody. The unibody had completely rusted away in the rear. Someone bought it (not me) and for probably 2 years , it was on their lawn with a for sale sign. Pretty sure it ended up getting scrapped. Looks like they bought it, had it a year and couldn't get it inspected again due to the lack of a frame.

Shame. One of the things I do is about immediately is crawl under a used car. If not at the lot then at Walmart or whatever. Hooptie or not. My wife does not quite understand that is not the rust up top that matters, its what is underneath that does.

Originally Posted By: cb_13
Originally Posted By: Miller88
I hate drum brakes. 3rd world cost saving nonsense. But they are cheaper to operate than rear discs here in the rustbelt. Rear discs always seem to require new calipers and rotors every 30K miles. Drums work, marginally, for the first 100K miles without issue (and then never work again nomatter how many professionals fix them ...).

I could go for a 4cyl 5 speed Tacoma!

I've never met a set of passenger car/truck drum brakes I couldn't get back into working order. I think you need to find a better "professional".
Yes the secret is you have to be smarter than the brakes.

My wife had a real nice 1984 4X4 and sold it for a 92 extra cab which was totaled when parked . The 92 was replaced with a 4x4 2006 which was given to our son when going to college and a 96 basic as basic can be truck. All were purchased new and well maintained all have been pretty good trucks and the 2006 other that every recall in the world being done has never knock on wood never has failed and the 1996 has never failed, 0 problems other than tune up ,oil changes and 2 sets of shocks,i complete brake job. Oh what a feeling. ike with any vehicle you pay your money and take your chances.

My buddy has a 2010 Ford Ranger 4L 5-speed extended cab with manual EVERYTHING. It is a rare truck, he actually had to out-bid someone after it had been on the lot 2 days to get it.

Originally Posted By: SLCraig
I'd try to find like an 04 Dakota.. Unless of course MPG is a main concern. Then stick with something smaller for sure.

The late Dakotas were terrible trucks...they just do nothing well. Slow, bad handling, and terrible mileage.

After seeing how much Tacos cost, I am considering (for the first time in almost 20 years) not owning a truck.

Is this where I should insert the obligatory comment about how you could just get a utility trailer and pull it with a sedan, and be better off than with a truck?

Tacoma are definitely hold their value. Just for giggles drove through the Toyota dealer last weekend. Brand new 4 door was $33k.. the very few used I see go for $20-26k. Still want to own one. I'd have it rust proofed yearly and drive it for 20 years so cost wise it would work out.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Considering it...but I don't like trailers.

If you get one you can move by hand with a wheeled jack on the front, they are kind of handy. And atleast up here, they cost maybe 5% of what keeping a spare pickup on the road would be.

Wouldn't be a "spare" pickup...would be a winter vehicle and daily driver.

I'm just not willing to drop $5000+ on a base model 10-year-old truck with 150,000+ miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back