Beretta ARX 100 ammo testing

Status
Not open for further replies.
I took the ARX-100 out Wednesday to try some different ammo and see if pulling the barrel resulted in group size shifting.

Some things to consider:
1) Range was 100 yards.
2) I was using a Aimpoint 2MOA optic.
3) I have astigmatism.
4) It was a cloudy day.
5) Combining 2,3,4 means I see the dot as a 'V' shape instead of a clean circle.
6) The stock ARX trigger doesn't help when trying for small groups.
7) I'm not, nor do I pretend to be, anything resembling a sniper.

All that said, here's what my groups looks like:
Ammo from left to right was Geco M193, ADI SS109, PPU 75gr HP, IMI 77gr OTM. The grid is 1" per.
thumb_IMG_1346_1024_zps7jxqwwut.jpg

Here's what happened when I pulled the barrel. The barrel was removed after shooting the above groups and left to cool while I was doing some other shooting. I pulled the barrel between each of these groups while I did some other shooting. Ammo was the same Geco M193 as the above target.
thumb_IMG_1348_1024_zps4fcj0a8d.jpg

BSW

He was testing to see if the firearm maintained it's zero after disassembling it and reassembling it.

Looks like it maintains its accuracy.

Perhaps get more sandbags and try again in a couple 100 rounds?
Time and experience can smooth out a trigger.

I have an old sporterized mauser, on a good day, lots of patience, and lots of sandbags, I can get the old stock trigger to print some 1.5" 5 round groups.
But with that trigger it takes a LOT of concentration.

Originally Posted By: SuperDave456
He was testing to see if the firearm maintained it's zero after disassembling it and reassembling it.

Looks like it maintains its accuracy.

Perhaps get more sandbags and try again in a couple 100 rounds?
Time and experience can smooth out a trigger.

I have an old sporterized mauser, on a good day, lots of patience, and lots of sandbags, I can get the old stock trigger to print some 1.5" 5 round groups.
But with that trigger it takes a LOT of concentration.

The barrel was pulled as that's one of the rifle's features*, quick release, tool-less barrel removal and reassembly. It's possible to make the rifle a much smaller package for transport by pulling the barrel and folding the stock, which would get the length down to 17 3/4".

The sear surfaces for the trigger and hammer are both plastic, which usually doesn't polish up that well. 3MOA is probably realistic considering my past experience.

BSW

*But a barrel that doesn't keep zero after removal isn't that useful.

Pretty large groups. Hopefully just a function of the shooter, conditions, and cheap ammo vs the gun. Any combat useable rifle should be able to shoot 2 inch groups at 100 yards, 3 inch groups at most.

Just shoot 193s or 855s if your staying with a reflexive fire setup. The heavys are great when you set it up as a DMR with a magnified optic and bipod.

Those groups are pretty good if you're using an aimpoint and no sled to hold the Beretta. 2MOA is a 2 inch dot on the paper @ 100. Not the best setup for testing ammo. You maybe able to get a better idea by testing @ 50 and @ 25. The Aimpoint really shines inside 100 when rounds on target vs time is critical. I have one on my home defense AR and slug gun and love it. I too tested the M68 @ 100 and got 4 to 9 inch groups with 855, same gun same ammo with bipod foregrip and UTG Bugbuster scope prints .75 to 1.25 groups all day 100. YMMV

Last edited:
As a comparison, I shot a 3.5 inch group at 200 yards (10 out of 10 headshots) on a silhouette target with green tip 62 grain 5.56 using a pencil barrel 16" AR15 with just an EoTech red dot sight (no magnification).

You have my attention and interest. I'll look around the net to see what others are doing with this gun accuracy wise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back