2 Cycle Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has any one else tried the Lucas Semi-Synthetic smokeless oil? I feel like my trimmer runs rough with it. My trimmer is brand new but my dad has the same make and model. any thoughts?

I've used Red Line 2-stroke for many years with excellent results.

I do 50:1 with my Echo weed whacker. It's about 15 years old and is still running strong.

I'm kind of wondering the same thing, so is the Lucas one bad? My Craftsman Weed Eater says use synthetic 2 cycle oil. Anything else good along with Red Line?

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
are you using ethanol free gas?

Yeah Shell V-Power with no ethanol. I bought a lot of it thinking it was a good oil. It was 2.39 for 2.6oz? anyway it was pre measured for one gallon. I was thinking of trying RP or RL next, they both seem to be well reviewed.

What brand trimmer? Are you using commercially or just on your lot? How big is your lot?

If you just have 1 acre or less and don't use it commercially, TruFuel premix fuel is where you want to be. Only takes two to three cans a year, which is not expensive and practically guarantees that your equipment will run excellent and without problems for years to come.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
What brand trimmer? Are you using commercially or just on your lot? How big is your lot?

If you just have 1 acre or less and don't use it commercially, TruFuel premix fuel is where you want to be. Only takes two to three cans a year, which is not expensive and practically guarantees that your equipment will run excellent and without problems for years to come.

I tried one qt. of True Fuel 50:1 and my Echo weed wacker started hard and ran terrible. For several years I have mixed my own fuel using Amsoil Saber and 87 pump gas at 50:1. I finally gave up on the True fuel and went back to my own mix. The Echo is once again running great.

I don't see the TRU FUEL hype. I have a 15 year old Husky 325 string trimmer that trims 4 acres a year + lawns at two houses using bulk oil from the local oil jobber.

Originally Posted By: CT8
I don't see the TRU FUEL hype. I have a 15 year old Husky 325 string trimmer that trims 4 acres a year + lawns at two houses using bulk oil from the local oil jobber.

I don't either. After trying True Fuel it appears it's just a rip off. $28 a gal! You've got to be kidding. I mix my own for $3 a gal and it performs much better.

Last edited:
Ethanol 10% fuel is stale after 30 days and really freaking stale after 90 days. My equipment has never run better than when it is using TruFuel. It's a premium product and only cost me $20 for an entire years worth of fuel for my Echo trimmer and Echo blower.

A carb repair (using stale fuel) will set you back $100. TruFuel is good cheap insurance against needing carb repairs. I'm a huge fan and highly recommend it to all my customers.

TruFuel has a 5 year shelf life unopened and a 2 year shelf life once opened. Try that with gasoline.

For the difference in cost I like my Red Line and some gas out of my 4Runner.

It's been about 15 years and my Echo weed whacker is still running strong and still starts on the first pull after priming.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime

TruFuel has a 5 year shelf life unopened and a 2 year shelf life once opened. Try that with gasoline.

TruFuel sounds alot like pure gas (E0) stored in a metal can. I'm sure pure gas with 50:1 oil mixed in would store two years in a metal can without significant breakdown unlike E10.

I agree that for residential use the premixed fuels make sense. I won't go through a gallon in a year so a quart of fuel is just fine. If I had a need for more fuel I would mix my own as there is ethanol-free gas 2 blocks from my house. I use it all of my OPE.

TruFuel isn't the only one, Home Depot also carries VP and Echo. Husky will even lengthen your warranty if you use their fuel.

5 year unopened shelf life and 2 years opened is a big plus. Reading some reviews, some users run a tank of this before storage and it gives the benefits without using it all year.

I just buy VPracing SEF fuel in 5gallon pail and mix my 2stroke myself it's the only fuel I will run in my small 2stroke engines anymore.

I've never had a problem with E10 going bad within the season. Whatever is left goes into my truck. You're talking total $5 for a gallon mixed with semi synthetic oil versus $24/gallon for True Fuel, even more for other brands. At the end of the season I empty the fuel out of the OPE's and run them dry, no problems.

Whimsey

Originally Posted By: Whimsey
I've never had a problem with E10 going bad within the season. Whatever is left goes into my truck. You're talking total $5 for a gallon mixed with semi synthetic oil versus $24/gallon for True Fuel, even more for other brands. At the end of the season I empty the fuel out of the OPE's and run them dry, no problems.

Whimsey
Not true I pay 12.50 a Gallon when purchased in a 5gallon pail. VPracing SEF

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back