Aluminum Transfer Case Check/Drain Plugs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have always wondered about these check and drain plugs on most GM vehicles.

The transfer case itself is either magnesium or aluminum alloy, and the check and drain plugs are aluminum. Sometimes they come with a pipe thread tape on them (our stock has it pre-applied, although when I pull plugs I don't always see it on customer's vehicle).

Recently I got advised by the Boss that my ... 10ft/lbs-ish torque of the check plugs is insufficient and the plug should be farther in. This causes me great concern considering the metal composition of both. I did a quick search and apparently the threads are tapered -- is this true?

Apparently the torque is about 20ft/lbs tops, but I'm extremely nervous about that. Should I strip out the threads on either, I'd get a warranty for sure, and that's not good at all because then the xfer case has to be dropped and split. Nasty repair bill for sure.

Anybody have any information on this subject? How far in are the plugs supposed to go in? I usually leave about 6mm (1/4 inch) of thread visible and as long as it's just a little snug, that's good enough as far as I'm concerned. Never seen one leaking and I don't think the fluid is under pressure. I do however, commonly see Toyota 24mm check/drain plugs rounded off (the contact surface is almost minimal).

Hex 10mm check plugs on other transfer cases (I'm thinking Dodge if I'm right, possibly Ford too) I don't put all the way in, either. I leave about 3mm sticking out past the outside surface of the transfer case.

I use white loctite on all aluminum drain plugs. Clean the threads on the case & plug with brakekleen first. Allow 20 minutes to set up if possible.

I learned this working on Harley aluminum cases. I never use a torque wrench on aluminum drain plugs. Loctite & good snug.

Last edited:
Tapered threads, like NPT for plumbing ? 10 lbs is probably just fine. What does the service manual call for ? Thats what I would use
smile.gif

Those plugs tend to be one-time use. Check the service manual and see if it needs to be replaced each time.

I don't have access to any service manuals or TSBs, so I'm inquiring here for any clues about them.

I'll check today if they're tapered. They might be. They do tighten the further you go, but you get that with stuff on the threads anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back