When did Car Quest switch to Baldwin?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: WillB
When did Car Quest switch their premium filter line to Baldwin? They used to be Wix.

That's ok, they are close to home.

Why bother with those filters? Where do you buy them?

Originally Posted By: Stewie
When did Car Quest switch their premium filter line to Baldwin? They used to be Wix.

That's ok, they are close to home.

Why bother with those filters? Where do you buy them?

????? It says on the can where they came from and who made it.....

I was just curious. I never bought filters from CQ before because I am not a fan of Wix.

This oil filter is for our Massey Ferguson 1635 tractor. The idiots that owned our dealer closed ours, they did not want to be in our area anymore, was the farthest away from their other dealers.

Have you priced any of their other Baldwin-built filters from CarQuest? Do you know how they compare to the Wix-built filters that they used to carry?
I've got one or two CarQuest stores near me that I have purchased filters from in the past and I'm curious how they will be priced.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Nice! I think one needs to be sacrificed for the sake of the BITOG faithful ha ha.

As soon as I get a filter cutter, I will.
smile.gif

T
Originally Posted By: Kruse
Have you priced any of their other Baldwin-built filters from CarQuest? Do you know how they compare to the Wix-built filters that they used to carry?
I've got one or two CarQuest stores near me that I have purchased filters from in the past and I'm curious how they will be priced.

Baldwins are a more premium filter that Wix. I loathe Wix, never bought them.

Last edited:
T

Interesting, how can you loathe something you've never used?

T

I hate Wix, plain and simple. Some Wix users act like the world revolves around Wix, when there are far better products out there. Some Wix users remind me of Amsoil Sheeple!!
I hate Chinamart, refuse to shop their also...

Last edited:
T

I hate Wix, plain and simple. Some Wix users act like the world revolves around Wix, when there are far better products out there. Some Wix users remind me of Amsoil Sheeple!!
I hate Chinamart, refuse to shop their also...

well you can count me as a Wix Faithful but i respect your opinion, and acknowledge your right to feel thusly.
are there better filters? Surely there are. are there more premium filters? also not a doubt there are.
I see them as the best "Bang for your(well my)Buck($)"
well, since the whole "tearolator" buisiness started..

granted the VAST majority of Wix Filters i've purchased haven't been at retail prices, but off others on here who stocked up, and then for one reason or another no longer need them.

but to buy one retail locally, I'm looking at about $6.50 for the 51516 for my car, which is a few $$ Cheaper than a Premium Fram ultra. and for my driving, doing 6 mo OCI's i'm lucky to get 3k mi before 6 mos is up.( owned it for 16 mo, only put about 9,2xxmi on it)

I buy the Ultras for the vibe, cuz it's my buddy's car, and our schedules don't sync up very often to be able to change it out for him,and at one extreme, we went 9 mos, with far too many mi, over a harsh winter, with what ended up being a torn P1... so from here on out, it gets Fram Ultra's, Conv for the summer, syn for the winter (just in case we get another round of Polar Vortex-y weeks of sub zero)

Both Cars Changed in April and October.

Last edited:

I like both (actually, I use Hastings instead of Baldwin). But, I don't know where you come up with the notion of one being vastly superior over the other. The 51358 on my car now versus the LF113 I took off are as interchangeable as one can get, down to the nitrile ADBV.

Now that Baldwins seem easier to get, I would use them, if they were more feature filled than say a Fram Ultra or a Denso FTF. I don't see nitrile adbv as a worry, but it isn't premium level either, nor is the rest of the filter, seems pretty middle of the road to me.

I think the main selling point of Baldwin/Hastings filters isn't a bunch of features or a claim at the best filtering on the market. They're very solid filters with solid construction that can be counted on to work as advertised each time. They've been made the way they are for a long time and don't have to rely on gimmicky features or cheapening of materials and build, and then face the inevitable backlash.

Regardless of where we stand on "cardboard" endcaps or media tearing or skimpy media or uneven, bent media, you can be very certain that people don't want any of these features or flaws in their OTR or agricultural applications and will give such products short shrift.

Based on the post/pics it would appear that as Champ/(fram) won the contract for CQ filters in the US, Clacor/Baldwin won the CQ oil filter contract in CA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back