CA SB 778 - Mandates 10K Mi. OCIs on the OIL mfr

Status
Not open for further replies.
Political grandstanding - it hasn't got a prayer of passing. It would take the API years and millions of dollars to develop standardized tests proven to correlate to 10k OCIs, and in what engines and what driving conditions? And the OEMs certainly aren't going to change their warranty requirements to satisfy California. A politician simply wants to claim he is looking out for the environment in his next election. Once the oil lobbyists go to work on this it will die a rapid death.

Tom NJ

It would perhaps get the SA oils off the shelf. But could make oil unnecessarily expensive for the rest of us.

It would be hilarious if every oil company said ok, we don't ship to calif!! Now what are you going to do?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: spasm3
It would perhaps get the SA oils off the shelf. But could make oil unnecessarily expensive for the rest of us.

It would be hilarious if every oil company said ok, we don't ship to calif!! Now what are you going to do?

LOL, it would...and by extension, cars would probably have to be shipped to California with an empty sump, to be filled with a compliant oil at the dealer.

For all its flatulent language about 10K OCI oil standards, this bill is about recycling oil - half of the oil in California isn't recycled and IMO you'd have to consider this a "poke and grab" bill that brings up the topic. I'm seeing that the bill is now in the suspense file for the Appropriations Committee so I'd assume it might potentially be there indefinitely or killed.

This state senator Ben Allen ( D-Santa Monica ) is one of the people spearheading the tougher CA vaccine law that's in the process of being passed. He appears to be a "government is the solution" guy so you can expect other controversies along these lines...I'm sure it's likely they'll appear on BITOG and there'll be the usual talk radio-style outrage. It remains to be seen if this will eventually morph into a recycling law that your state will be voting on in two years or not.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: spasm3

LOL, it would...and by extension, cars would probably have to be shipped to California with an empty sump, to be filled with a compliant oil at the dealer.

Um, cars are already 49 states legal vs 50-states legal, with CA being the 50th state, so guess what CA cars already are different or the strictest standard that the manf build to comply to.

Did the sky fall down? Did car manf go bankrupt? did you even know? doesn't seem like it, so stop worrying.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Vuflanovsky
For all its flatulent language about 10K OCI oil standards, this bill is about recycling oil - half of the oil in California isn't recycled and IMO you'd have to consider this a "poke and grab" bill that brings up the topic. I'm seeing that the bill is now in the suspense file for the Appropriations Committee so I'd assume it might potentially be there indefinitely or killed.

This state senator Ben Allen ( D-Santa Monica ) is one of the people spearheading the tougher CA vaccine law that's in the process of being passed. He appears to be a "government is the solution" guy so you can expect other controversies along these lines...I'm sure it's likely they'll appear on BITOG and there'll be the usual talk radio-style outrage. It remains to be seen if this will eventually morph into a recycling law that your state will be voting on in two years or not.
It would be smarter to put a "deposit" on it, a small number like 25 cents/quart, & have auto parts stores collect & refund it, using the excess to promote oil recycling. Like glass pop bottles, back in the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back